POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : <no subject> Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:20:29 EDT (-0400)
  <no subject> (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Mr
Subject: <no subject>
Date: 25 Jun 2010 16:25:00
Message: <web.4c25107ec23a6d95cc9c68e0@news.povray.org>
Can any macro or test build now deal with tangent space
normal maps?

Post a reply to this message

From: Mr
Subject: Re: <no subject>
Date: 25 Jun 2010 17:20:00
Message: <web.4c251c7e6f92e8565cc9c68e0@news.povray.org>
"Mr" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Can any macro or test build now deal with tangent space
> normal maps?

I'm sorry I forgot to put a subject "any normal maps macro"

Post a reply to this message

From: Le Forgeron
Subject: Re: any normal maps macro
Date: 28 Jun 2010 10:02:23
Message: <4c28ab6f$1@news.povray.org>
Le 25/06/2010 22:24, Mr a écrit :
> Can any macro or test build now deal with tangent space
> normal maps?

I do not even understand the question !
What are you trying to achieve ?

Post a reply to this message

From: Mr
Date: 28 Jun 2010 13:10:01
Message: <web.4c28d5e2e4bf3ebaa16d09250@news.povray.org>
Le_Forgeron <lef### [at] freefr> wrote:
> Le 25/06/2010 22:24, Mr a écrit :
> > Can any macro or test build now deal with tangent space
> > normal maps?
>
> I do not even understand the question !
> What are you trying to achieve ?

most modeling programs can export a normal map. this allows to "bake" thin
details into a specific texture type and use them over a lower resolution mesh:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSmjxcAhkfE

Without normal maps we couldn't use applications like Zbrush, Mudbox, 3DCoat,
Sculptris, blender, etc... to their real potential because of too heavy meshes
for the rest of  both pre-rendered animation and realtime pipeline tools.

Normal maps which differs from a bump map by the fact that it deviates the
shading ray direction by some vector given with colors of the map (something
like RGB for XYZ and each channel's value for angular measure of the deviation).
These textures typically look mostly bluish with colors showing which sides the
normal slope was going on the high resolution mesh:
http://developer.nvidia.com/object/real-time-normal-map-dxt-compression.html
(see down to 7.2 Tangent-Space )

Here is a method of one way to create normal maps from real objects:
http://zarria.net/nrmphoto/nrmphoto.html

I don't need to create the normal maps from povray, since blender exports them,
just to read them, that is translate the colors of the map to some rotation for
the shading vector. I thought maybe the slope mapping functions could allow
building such a system but from what I saw of the documentation, the slope is
only one value, no real triple vector type coordinates to say which 3D direction
the normal is pointing at intead of just up or down.

A discussion with a proper subject title had been started here, I'll keep
checking it too:
http://news.povray.org/povray.general/thread/%3C4a90bd16$1@news.povray.org%3E/