POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Use of characters like =FC,=E4,=F6 Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:17:18 EDT (-0400)
  Use of characters like =FC,=E4,=F6 (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: DH0909
Subject: Use of characters like =FC,=E4,=F6
Date: 3 Jun 2010 12:00:01
Message: <web.4c07d0d41487e7f59cec162a0@news.povray.org>
Hi!
This question has two parts:

The text (TheText) runs through a loop where all letters are checked like:
#local b=substr(TheText,I+1,1);
#if (strcmp(b," ")!=0)

Is that right? How could I circumvent this?
(I render text currently using TIMESBD.TTF. I will use another font anyway
later, but it hasn't to do anything with the font used for rendering.)

2. The same when I try to write the text in a text file with #write:
#write(fileHandle,
        concat("rename \"vorlage 0001.png\" ",
        TheText, ".png\"",
        "\n")
      )

Part 1 is much more important to me, as part 2 I can easily handle with a
workaround.

Greetings
DH =)

Post a reply to this message

> The text (TheText) runs through a loop where all letters are checked like:
> #local b=substr(TheText,I+1,1);
> #if (strcmp(b," ")!=0)
>

> Is that right? How could I circumvent this?
> (I render text currently using TIMESBD.TTF. I will use another font anyway
> later, but it hasn't to do anything with the font used for rendering.)

You need to read the documentation or search the newsgroups before posting.
This question has been answered dozens of times. You need to set the charset.

For example, see this thread:
On 06/03/2010 01:11 PM, Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
> You need to read the documentation or search the newsgroups before
> posting. This question has been answered dozens of times. You need to
> set the charset.

now you can just point them here:
http://wiki.povray.org/content/Knowledgebase:Language_Questions_and_Tips#Topic_32

Post a reply to this message

> The text (TheText) runs through a loop where all letters are checked like:
> #local b=substr(TheText,I+1,1);
> #if (strcmp(b," ")!=0)
>

> Is that right? How could I circumvent this?
> (I render text currently using TIMESBD.TTF. I will use another font anyway
> later, but it hasn't to do anything with the font used for rendering.)
>
> 2. The same when I try to write the text in a text file with #write:
> #write(fileHandle,
>          concat("rename \"vorlage 0001.png\" ",
>          TheText, ".png\"",
>          "\n")
>        )
>

> Part 1 is much more important to me, as part 2 I can easily handle with a
> workaround.
>
> Greetings
> DH =)

Add:
global_settings{charset utf8}
Then use "\u00fc", "\u00e4" or "\u00f6" in your strings.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

> Then use "\u00fc", "\u00e4" or "\u00f6" in your strings.
>

> Alain

Ty!  =)

Is there any sense nowadays not to use utf8? Are there any possible
disadvanteges when using utf8?

Greetings
DH

Post a reply to this message

Jim Holsenback <jho### [at] povrayorg> wrote:
> On 06/03/2010 01:11 PM, Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
> > You need to read the documentation or search the newsgroups before
> > posting. This question has been answered dozens of times. You need to
> > set the charset.
>
> now you can just point them here:
> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Knowledgebase:Language_Questions_and_Tips#Topic_32

I care :P