POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Coloring 3DS files Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:22:21 EDT (-0400)
  Coloring 3DS files (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: bgimeno
Subject: Coloring 3DS files
Date: 13 May 2010 15:16:56
Message: <4bec5028@news.povray.org>
Interjection of greetings:

The issue: I downloaded some objects in .3ds format.

The problem: When converting it to Pov-ray with Poseray, this is assigned
the same white uniform texture throughout.

The question: How can I assign different materials to each group of items
without having to install 3d Studio? There seems not to be an option in my
version of Poseray.
Any suggestions that do not pass to convert visible / invisible, colorize
and convert each group of the object?

Thanks for your comments and sorry for my poor English language skills

Another interjection of greetings
B. (that does not mean Baal, Bismuth or Brendan) Gimeno

Post a reply to this message

> The issue: I downloaded some objects in .3ds format.
>
> The problem: When converting it to Pov-ray with Poseray, this is assigned
> the same white uniform texture throughout.
>
> The question: How can I assign different materials to each group of items
> without having to install 3d Studio? There seems not to be an option in my
> version of Poseray.
> Any suggestions that do not pass to convert visible / invisible, colorize
> and convert each group of the object?
>
> Thanks for your comments and sorry for my poor English language skills
>
> Another interjection of greetings
> B. (that does not mean Baal, Bismuth or Brendan) Gimeno

you may use blender to regrouping and reassign materials to faces

Post a reply to this message

> The issue: I downloaded some objects in .3ds format.
>
> The problem: When converting it to Pov-ray with Poseray, this is assigned
> the same white uniform texture throughout.
>
> The question: How can I assign different materials to each group of items
> without having to install 3d Studio? There seems not to be an option in my
> version of Poseray.
> Any suggestions that do not pass to convert visible / invisible, colorize
> and convert each group of the object?
>
> Thanks for your comments and sorry for my poor English language skills
>
> Another interjection of greetings
> B. (that does not mean Baal, Bismuth or Brendan) Gimeno

Welcome Mr Gimeno (Not Baal)

3DS files come with a MTL file which holds the material information. See
http://nendowingsmirai.yuku.com/topic/1723/t/Wavefront-mtl-file-format-info.html
for more information. If an entry is like:
newmtl SkinBody
Ns 1
Ka 0 0 0
Kd 1 1 1
Ks 0 0 0

That means that the colour is white. You can change the mtl file or
assign colours to the 3ds model in PoseRay. Select a material group and

picker.

I hope this helps.

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> The issue: I downloaded some objects in .3ds format.
>
> The problem: When converting it to Pov-ray with Poseray, this is assigned
> the same white uniform texture throughout.
>
> The question: How can I assign different materials to each group of items
> without having to install 3d Studio? There seems not to be an option in my
> version of Poseray.
> Any suggestions that do not pass to convert visible / invisible, colorize
> and convert each group of the object?
>
> Thanks for your comments and sorry for my poor English language skills
>
> Another interjection of greetings
> B. (that does not mean Baal, Bismuth or Brendan) Gimeno

If the mesh comes in groups but only one material then after loading the
3DS model in PoseRay, go to the materials tab and click on tools and
then on Groups->Materials. This way PoseRay will create materials out of
the groups and then you can assign different colors to them.

If the mesh only has one material and one group then you will need an
external editor (like blender) to assign new materials.

FlyerX