POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Hanging wires/ropes/tubes Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:23:22 EDT (-0400)
  Hanging wires/ropes/tubes (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: some yahoo
Subject: Hanging wires/ropes/tubes
Date: 11 Feb 2010 01:50:31
Message: <4b73a8b7$1@news.povray.org>
let's say I have a tube attached to a wall and to a machine.

I have the endpoints, say

#declare tube_end_1=<0,2,0>;
#declare tube_end_2=<1,1,0>;

now I guess I would need some initial vectors for the tube, say,

#declare tube_vector_1=<0,-1,0>; //straight down
#declare tube_vector_2=<1,0,0>;  //left

Now I guess I would need a "stiffness" constant, and perhaps the
"stretched out" length of the tube

Has anyone got these calculations/ideas/whatever?

Post a reply to this message

> let's say I have a tube attached to a wall and to a machine.
>
> I have the endpoints, say
>
> #declare tube_end_1=<0,2,0>;
> #declare tube_end_2=<1,1,0>;
>
> now I guess I would need some initial vectors for the tube, say,
>
> #declare tube_vector_1=<0,-1,0>; //straight down
> #declare tube_vector_2=<1,0,0>;  //left
>
> Now I guess I would need a "stiffness" constant, and perhaps the
> "stretched out" length of the tube
>

> Has anyone got these calculations/ideas/whatever?

find something useful ;)

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> let's say I have a tube attached to a wall and to a machine.
>
> I have the endpoints, say
>
> #declare tube_end_1=<0,2,0>;
> #declare tube_end_2=<1,1,0>;
>
> now I guess I would need some initial vectors for the tube, say,
>
> #declare tube_vector_1=<0,-1,0>; //straight down
> #declare tube_vector_2=<1,0,0>; //left
>
> Now I guess I would need a "stiffness" constant, and perhaps the
> "stretched out" length of the tube
>

> Has anyone got these calculations/ideas/whatever?

Do a search for "ik neck". The name of the include is ikn.inc.
// INVERSE KINEMATICS NECK INCLUDE FILE FOR PERSISTENCE OF VISION 3.1
//
// Created by Rune S. Johansen, January 2000

It's an include for the creation of neck/tubes that have a start and an
end points, a direction and a stiffness at both ends.
Made for version 3.1, but works perfectly with any later versions.

It looks like it's perfectly suited to your need.

Alain