POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : how to include a origin graph Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:14:01 EDT (-0400)
  how to include a origin graph (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: shiva
Subject: how to include a origin graph
Date: 1 Dec 2009 03:00:02
Message: <web.4b14cc9bfdf608e9c2ce96450@news.povray.org>
hi everybody,

i am a rar povray user. I use it to render picture of crystall structures. Now
for a poster i would love to include two graphs resultet of some measurments.
This graphs are simple x,y ASCII file, which i normaly display with origin or
even with excel.

i found a programm to create .dxf from pdf, if it works i should be able to have
the .dxf file. but i could not find converter to povray. the links in older
threads are not working.

thanks
shiva

Post a reply to this message

i can export my graph from origin to the following formats:

wmf, xwd, xpm, emf, tif, psd, pdf, tga, png, jpg, pcx, emps,
dxf, egm, bmp, ai

Post a reply to this message

> i am a rar povray user. I use it to render picture of crystall structures. Now
> for a poster i would love to include two graphs resultet of some measurments.
> This graphs are simple x,y ASCII file, which i normaly display with origin or
> even with excel.
>
> i found a programm to create .dxf from pdf, if it works i should be able to have
> the .dxf file. but i could not find converter to povray. the links in older
> threads are not working.
>
> thanks
> shiva

To convert several formats to the POV-Ray format, you can try poseray.
It create a .POV file from the input file you give it.

If you want to use some image files, you can use any of the followings:
BMP
PNG
JPG/JPEG
GIF
TIF/TIFF

Alain

Post a reply to this message

From: TC
Subject: If you want a pretty graph, just like Excel gives you: cheat!
Date: 1 Dec 2009 16:27:26
Message: <4b158a3e@news.povray.org>
The easiest way is simply to cheat. There are several ways:

- Use PovRay to create the picture you would like to have, import the
pov-picture as background into Excel. Combine your Excel-graph with
pov-picture and enjoy.
- Use PovRay to create the picture you would like to have, use Excel to
produce the prettily formatted graph, make a screenshot, combine screenshot
with PovRay-scene using a program like Photoshop.

A more Pov-Ray way to cheat:

- Use Excel to produce the prettily formatted graph, create screenshot or
print to bitmap, and use an image_map in PovRay to include the graph into
your PovRay scene. Apply the image_map to a box-object or a sphere, if you
are feeling artistic.

Include something like this into your PovRay scene (or google for "povray
image_map"):

pigment
{ image_map
  { gif "myprettyexcelgraph.gif"
    map_type 1
  }
}

- Now, if you want just to render the graph, use the raw x,y coordinates as
part of a sphere_sweep

  sphere_sweep {
    linear_spline
    42,
    <x1, y1, 0>, 1
    <x2,  y2, 0>, 1
    < x42, y42, 0>, 1
  }

Scale to size and include in your Pov-Scene. Enjoy.

However, you don't get all the trimmings this way, just the bare graph, no
axes, no grids, no labels.

- If all this is not what you are looking for, try Inkscape. Inkscape does
export to PovRay prism-objects and can import many different formats.