POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : rendering in segments Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:23:49 EDT (-0400)
  rendering in segments (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: JH
Subject: rendering in segments
Date: 14 Feb 2008 10:30:01
Message: <web.47b45e4a788db57323eca01f0@news.povray.org>
I'm trying to render an image in segments, using +SR and +ER, but I'm getting
banding.  Each 48-line segment has a different brightness.  Why?  Is this
because I'm using radiosity?  I tried turning of jitter, but it didn't help.

I'd really like to be able to render the image in parts.

(I don't want to interrupt and resume the render.  I want to do it parts.)

More generally, is rendering part of an image supposed to create exactly the
same thing as taking the part from the entire rendered image?

Many thanks.

JH

Post a reply to this message

> I'm trying to render an image in segments, using +SR and +ER, but I'm getting
> banding.  Each 48-line segment has a different brightness.  Why?  Is this
> because I'm using radiosity?

Yes. I *always* get banding when using radiosity and tiled rendering.

You could render the whole image at a lower resolution, saving radiosity
data, then load that saved file when rendering the tiles. But IME, even
then I got some slight brightness difference.

Post a reply to this message

> > I'm trying to render an image in segments, using +SR and +ER, but I'm getting
> > banding.  Each 48-line segment has a different brightness.  Why?  Is this
> > because I'm using radiosity?
>
> Yes. I *always* get banding when using radiosity and tiled rendering.
>
> You could render the whole image at a lower resolution, saving radiosity
> data, then load that saved file when rendering the tiles. But IME, even
> then I got some slight brightness difference.

How do I do that?

Can I save the radiosity at full resolution?  (Isn't radiosity a two-pass
system?)

JH