POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Clouds in POV-Ray Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:22:44 EDT (-0400)
  Clouds in POV-Ray (Message 11 to 18 of 18)
From: Gilles Tran
Subject: Re: Clouds in POV-Ray
Date: 5 Feb 2008 04:08:21
Message: <47a82785$1@news.povray.org>

47a7404c$1@news.povray.org...
> One question that will likely come up in the FLOSS interview on Wednesday
> is how POV-Ray renders clouds. I have an answer from when I used to write
> cloud textures years ago - procedural textures with shades of gray and
> transparency and a gradient sphere.
>
> Is there a better more modern way to create spectacular clouds?  Many of
> the clouds I'm seeing seem to go beyond the simple texturing technique I
> used to use.

Here's my (now old) MakeCloud macro based on media and density file formats.
http://www.oyonale.com/modeles.php?lang=en&page=36
There have been other implementations of this idea.

In the FLOSS world, POV-Ray's DF3-based volumetric clouds are certainly the
best combination of realism and speed. The good folks from Blender are
looking at this too for the upcoming Peach movie.
http://peach.blender.org/index.php/we-want-volumetric-clouds-in-blender/

G.

--
http://www.oyonale.com