POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : HGE FractalFlake v1.0 Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:30:01 EDT (-0400)
  HGE FractalFlake v1.0 (Message 12 to 21 of 21)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: HGE FractalFlake v1.0
Date: 12 Nov 2007 19:36:06
Message: <4738f176$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 12:39:31 -0800, Samuel Benge wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>
>> Sadly, also doesn't run under WINE (though the result is a bit more
>> spectacular - I see the help text flashing, but when I say "go", the
>> machine crashed *hard*) or in W2K under VMware. :-(
>>
>> Jim
>
> One thing you might check. Does your video card support antialiasing or
> anistropic filtering? If so, are those settings 'application controlled'
> or have you overridden them? If it's the latter, disable them. Other
> than that, I can think of no reason for the crash :(

Where would I look for those settings?

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 12 Nov 2007 22:05:38
Message: <47391482@news.povray.org>
Jérôme M. Berger nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/11/12 17:32:

> Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
>> Samuel Benge escribió:
>>> are those settings 'application controlled' or have you overridden them?
>> I'm not sure if Linux has ways to change that. I think it's only nVidia
>> cards on Windows that give such settings.
>
> 	nVidia cards on linux have it. AFAIR ATI cards on either Windows or
> Linux have it too.
>
> 		Jerome
I have an ATI and I can comfirm that it's available for Windows. Don't know
about Linux.

--
Alain
ROMANCE MATHEMATICS

Post a reply to this message

From: Samuel Benge
Date: 12 Nov 2007 22:08:05
Message: <47391515$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
>> One thing you might check. Does your video card support antialiasing or
>> anistropic filtering? If so, are those settings 'application controlled'
>> or have you overridden them? If it's the latter, disable them. Other
>> than that, I can think of no reason for the crash :(
>
> Where would I look for those settings?
>
> Jim

On Windows, you go to display properties>settings>advanced>video card tab.

Sam

Post a reply to this message

From: Samuel Benge
Date: 12 Nov 2007 22:42:30
Message: <47391d26$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> Samuel Benge wrote:
>> andrel wrote:
>>
>>> I could not find the pov-output switch :(
>>
>> I never alluded to such a feature.
>
> only kidding ;)

Being of the dry humor persuasion, I should have caught it :)

>> If I can figure out dynamic arrays and formatted text output, I could
>> make a version which outputs to a POV include file.
>>
> I think it is not exactly how you do it in bmp, but what about blob
> objects?
> Though they might be slow, I seldom use them.

It seems like any option would result in a slow render.

A fairly good height_field can be made from the bmp's, which is why the
program is in b&w.

Sam

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 13 Nov 2007 01:27:02
Message: <473943b6$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 19:07:57 -0800, Samuel Benge wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Where would I look for those settings?
>
> On Windows, you go to display properties>settings>advanced>video card
> tab.

Will give that a shot, thanks - I don't spend a lot of time in Windows,
and a lot of my knowledge about that platform has subsequently vanished...

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Sławomir Szczyrba
Date: 13 Nov 2007 05:17:27
Message: <slrn.fjiudm.fjh.steev@hot.pl>

> Sadly, also doesn't run under WINE (though the result is a bit more

Hm, works fine here...
wine-0.9.46-1.fc6, Radeon 9600

--
  ________
_/ __/ __/ Jacek Soplica mial dlugie rzesy i dlatego nazywali go wasalem.

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 13 Nov 2007 12:56:55
Message: <4739e567$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 05:17:27 -0500, Sławomir Szczyrba wrote:

> Nie wiem dlaczego, ale Jim Henderson uważa, że :
>>
>> Sadly, also doesn't run under WINE (though the result is a bit more
>>
> Hm, works fine here...
> wine-0.9.46-1.fc6, Radeon 9600

Interesting.  I'll check my config and see if I can find the issue...

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Paolo Gibellini
Date: 19 Nov 2007 06:22:30
Message: <474171f6$2@news.povray.org>
Really nice!
;-)
Paolo
> "Samuel Benge" wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have created a new snowflake generator for Windows. It is a complete
> rewrite and is based on an iterative fractal function. It produces
> fairly realistic snowflakes.
>
> You will need DirectX v8.0 or above for this program to work. There are
> many options available, including support for different image resolutions.
>
> The link:
> http://www.caltel.com/~abenge/hgeFractalFlake1.zip
>
> Just unzip the file into a single directory and you're good to go!
>
> Some example images:
> http://www.caltel.com/~abenge/ff1b.jpg
> http://www.caltel.com/~abenge/ff1a.jpg
>
> Enjoy!
>
> Sam

Post a reply to this message

From: Samuel Benge
Date: 19 Nov 2007 17:05:44
Message: <474208b8$1@news.povray.org>
Paolo Gibellini wrote:
> Really nice!

Thank you! You're the first to express an opinion about my little app.

Sam

Post a reply to this message

From: stbenge
Date: 12 Dec 2007 16:18:48
Message: <47605038$1@news.povray.org>
Hello everyone,

When I got my new computer I noticed a problematic error in the way this
program handles non-square images. If the program is producing extra
graphics on the sprites, here is a procedure which will fix it.

Open 'tiles.png' in Gimp, go to image>canvas size. Click on the chain to
disable locking of the aspect ratio. Type 256 for canvas width. Click
'resize'. Go to the layers palette and right click on the active (only)
layer. Left click on 'layer to image size'. Save. This should fix it.

Sam