POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : HGE FractalFlake v1.0 Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:31:21 EDT (-0400)
  HGE FractalFlake v1.0 (Message 11 to 20 of 21)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 1 Messages >>>
From: Samuel Benge
Subject: Re: HGE FractalFlake v1.0
Date: 12 Nov 2007 18:09:20
Message: <4738dd20@news.povray.org>
Alain wrote:

> If you use OGL, you will have beter compatibility. Then, it will be
> easier to port to other OS, and have beter chances of running under a VM
> or emulator.

OGL=OpenGL?

I'll need to find the appropriate library for that. I h*te mucking
around with *really* low level stuff.

Sam

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 12 Nov 2007 19:36:06
Message: <4738f176$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 12:39:31 -0800, Samuel Benge wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>
>> Sadly, also doesn't run under WINE (though the result is a bit more
>> spectacular - I see the help text flashing, but when I say "go", the
>> machine crashed *hard*) or in W2K under VMware. :-(
>>
>> Jim
>
> One thing you might check. Does your video card support antialiasing or
> anistropic filtering? If so, are those settings 'application controlled'
> or have you overridden them? If it's the latter, disable them. Other
> than that, I can think of no reason for the crash :(

Where would I look for those settings?

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 12 Nov 2007 22:05:38
Message: <47391482@news.povray.org>
Jérôme M. Berger nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/11/12 17:32:

> Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
>> Samuel Benge escribió:
>>> are those settings 'application controlled' or have you overridden them?
>> I'm not sure if Linux has ways to change that. I think it's only nVidia
>> cards on Windows that give such settings.
>
> 	nVidia cards on linux have it. AFAIR ATI cards on either Windows or
> Linux have it too.
>
> 		Jerome
I have an ATI and I can comfirm that it's available for Windows. Don't know
about Linux.

--
Alain
ROMANCE MATHEMATICS

Post a reply to this message

From: Samuel Benge
Date: 12 Nov 2007 22:08:05
Message: <47391515$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
>> One thing you might check. Does your video card support antialiasing or
>> anistropic filtering? If so, are those settings 'application controlled'
>> or have you overridden them? If it's the latter, disable them. Other
>> than that, I can think of no reason for the crash :(
>
> Where would I look for those settings?
>
> Jim

On Windows, you go to display properties>settings>advanced>video card tab.

Sam

Post a reply to this message

From: Samuel Benge
Date: 12 Nov 2007 22:42:30
Message: <47391d26$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> Samuel Benge wrote:
>> andrel wrote:
>>
>>> I could not find the pov-output switch :(
>>
>> I never alluded to such a feature.
>
> only kidding ;)

Being of the dry humor persuasion, I should have caught it :)

>> If I can figure out dynamic arrays and formatted text output, I could
>> make a version which outputs to a POV include file.
>>
> I think it is not exactly how you do it in bmp, but what about blob
> objects?
> Though they might be slow, I seldom use them.

It seems like any option would result in a slow render.

A fairly good height_field can be made from the bmp's, which is why the
program is in b&w.

Sam

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 13 Nov 2007 01:27:02
Message: <473943b6$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 19:07:57 -0800, Samuel Benge wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Where would I look for those settings?
>
> On Windows, you go to display properties>settings>advanced>video card
> tab.

Will give that a shot, thanks - I don't spend a lot of time in Windows,
and a lot of my knowledge about that platform has subsequently vanished...

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Sławomir Szczyrba
Date: 13 Nov 2007 05:17:27
Message: <slrn.fjiudm.fjh.steev@hot.pl>

> Sadly, also doesn't run under WINE (though the result is a bit more

Hm, works fine here...
wine-0.9.46-1.fc6, Radeon 9600

--
  ________
_/ __/ __/ Jacek Soplica mial dlugie rzesy i dlatego nazywali go wasalem.

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 13 Nov 2007 12:56:55
Message: <4739e567$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 05:17:27 -0500, Sławomir Szczyrba wrote:

> Nie wiem dlaczego, ale Jim Henderson uważa, że :
>>
>> Sadly, also doesn't run under WINE (though the result is a bit more
>>
> Hm, works fine here...
> wine-0.9.46-1.fc6, Radeon 9600

Interesting.  I'll check my config and see if I can find the issue...

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Paolo Gibellini
Date: 19 Nov 2007 06:22:30
Message: <474171f6$2@news.povray.org>
Really nice!
;-)
Paolo
> "Samuel Benge" wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have created a new snowflake generator for Windows. It is a complete
> rewrite and is based on an iterative fractal function. It produces
> fairly realistic snowflakes.
>
> You will need DirectX v8.0 or above for this program to work. There are
> many options available, including support for different image resolutions.
>
> The link:
> http://www.caltel.com/~abenge/hgeFractalFlake1.zip
>
> Just unzip the file into a single directory and you're good to go!
>
> Some example images:
> http://www.caltel.com/~abenge/ff1b.jpg
> http://www.caltel.com/~abenge/ff1a.jpg
>
> Enjoy!
>
> Sam

Post a reply to this message

From: Samuel Benge
Date: 19 Nov 2007 17:05:44
Message: <474208b8$1@news.povray.org>
Paolo Gibellini wrote:
> Really nice!

Thank you! You're the first to express an opinion about my little app.

Sam

Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 1 Messages >>>