POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Thunderbird theading fix Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:26:22 EDT (-0400)
  Thunderbird theading fix (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Sabrina Kilian
Subject: Thunderbird theading fix
Date: 14 Mar 2007 17:10:17
Message: <45f872c9@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> Unfortunately, Thunderbird is showing this message as a reply to a
> thread from 2000.
>
> Does someone know how to make it thread replies by message ID, and not
> by topic name?
>
> ...Chambers

Okay, this is only safe if you like editing the user.js file. There are
two seperate issues with how T-bird threads. One is that it puts
everything with Re: <title> as a reply to the earliest thread named
<title>. The other is that it ignores references. So, add the following
to your 'user.js' file. Normal path to that file is C:\Documents and
Settings\<username>\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\<random
letters and numbers>.default\user.js on windows.

# Stop threading messages together if they simply have the same subject
# (none of the messages start with "Re:")
user_pref("mail.thread_without_re", false);
# Only thread by reference headers, ignore subject
user_pref("mail.strict_threading", true);

Got that info from a thunderbird wiki that I forgot to bookmark, so I
can't quote the source and google isn't being helpful in tracking it down.

Post a reply to this message

> # Stop threading messages together if they simply have the same subject
> # (none of the messages start with "Re:")
> user_pref("mail.thread_without_re", false);
> # Only thread by reference headers, ignore subject
> user_pref("mail.strict_threading", true);

Thanks.  Hopefully this will fix the problem (although it doesn't appear
to fix messages that are already downoaded).

Note that, if you don't want to bother with the user.js file, you can
choose Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Config Editor to get a list of
all the options that *could* go in the user.js file, and edit them there.

...Chambers