POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Using light_groups to cut render times? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:22:53 EDT (-0400)
  Using light_groups to cut render times? (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Rarius
Subject: Using light_groups to cut render times?
Date: 1 Feb 2007 20:08:54
Message: <45c28f26$1@news.povray.org>
I have a large complex model which takes a 40s to render at 320x240 with two
external light sources, but takes over 18m to render if I add in the 8
lights within the object.  The model is totally CSG with no reflection or
refraction.  I have used Phong and standard procedural textures.

To speed up the render I thought I'd use light_groups to limit the effect of
the lights to nearby parts of the model.  Although it does limit the effect
of the lights, unfortunately this has made no effect to the render times...

Is there a gotcha with light_groups I am missing?

Can anyone suggest any other solutions?

Here is a snippet of my code showing how the light_group is being used...

union
{
    object{UpperHead translate<50, 0, 0>}
    object{LowerHead translate<50, 0, 0>}
    light_group
    {
        object{MidHead translate<50, 0, 0>}
        light_group{MidHeadLights translate<50, 0, 0>}
        global_lights on
    }
    object{Neck translate<0, 0, 3>}
    object{Engines translate<-65, 0, 3>}
    object{Pods translate<0, 0, 0>}
}

Each of the objects (UpperHead, etc.) is a #local of a large CSG.
MidHeadLights is a #local of a union of the 8 light_sources.

BTW I am using POVRay 3.7.0.beta.19/msvc8-sse2.win32 running on WinXP SP2,
on a PentiumD (2x2.8GHz), with 1Gb DDR Ram.

Rarius

Post a reply to this message

Further to my earlier post... POVRay 3.6.1c manages to render the file in
11m41s with the lights included against 3.7.0.beta19 in 18m41s.

Rarius