POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Render more speed with 16 bits colors Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:16:32 EDT (-0400)
  Render more speed with 16 bits colors (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: cogitas3d
Subject: Render more speed with 16 bits colors
Date: 16 Nov 2006 17:15:00
Message: <web.455ce1d8360cfc2a5e0455230@news.povray.org>
Hi!

I'm thinking about this, it is possible to render more speed changing the
bits color to 16 or 8? (instead of 24)

Thanks for the attention, a big hug!

Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Subject: Re: Render more speed with 16 bits colors
Date: 16 Nov 2006 18:59:04
Message: <455cfb48@news.povray.org>
cogitas3d wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm thinking about this, it is possible to render more speed changing the
> bits color to 16 or 8? (instead of 24)

<http://tag.povray.org/povQandT/miscQandT.html#3dcard>

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 16 Nov 2006 19:26:36
Message: <455d01bc$1@news.povray.org>
cogitas3d nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 16/11/2006 17:10:
> Hi!

> I'm thinking about this, it is possible to render more speed changing the
> bits color to 16 or 8? (instead of 24)

> Thanks for the attention, a big hug!

Most of the time, no. The bigest part of the render time is used by your FPU,
and none by the GPU.
The only case where it may help, is with multiple levels of reflection and
transparency, if it enable you to use a lower adc_bailout value. Then only if
outputing as lesser quality TGA or PNG: less bits per chanel, like 5 instead of
8 to give 16 bits files. And even in that case, the gain would be minimal, at most.

--
Alain
The more crap you put up with, the more crap you are going to get.

Post a reply to this message