POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Eshibition at the ETH Zurich Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:32:19 EDT (-0400)
  Eshibition at the ETH Zurich (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Urs Holzer
Subject: Eshibition at the ETH Zurich
Date: 24 Oct 2006 08:01:27
Message: <453e0096@news.povray.org>
Right now, I'm at the ETH in Zurich (Switzerland). There's an exhibition
here called "The world between 0 and 1". I found here a Dual Dual-Core
Opteron (no writing mistake, it really has 4 cores). They show on it the
computation of mandelbrot fractals and they render a 3D-scene. Guess which
raytracer they use!

Actually, the rendering window has the title "Persistence of vision 2.5". I
guess they use an old version of POV-Ray because they make a comparison
between the Opteron and an older machine (from 1997).

The whole exhibition is very interesting. There is also much on virtual
reality and simulation. Many of our animation problems are being solved
here at the ETH: Fluids, Objects falling into water, exploding things,
breaking of a bar, chewing gum. This is only one example of the whole
exhibition. If you are not too far away, come and look! More information is
on http://www.25jahre.inf.ethz.ch/

Greetings!

Post a reply to this message

Urs Holzer <urs### [at] andonyarcom> wrote:
> Actually, the rendering window has the title "Persistence of vision 2.5". I
> guess they use an old version of POV-Ray because they make a comparison
> between the Opteron and an older machine (from 1997).

  There's no such version of POV-Ray. There must be a mistake somewhere.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> Urs Holzer <urs### [at] andonyarcom> wrote:
>> Actually, the rendering window has the title "Persistence of vision 2.5".
>> I guess they use an old version of POV-Ray because they make a comparison
>> between the Opteron and an older machine (from 1997).
>
>   There's no such version of POV-Ray. There must be a mistake somewhere.

Never mind. My fault. Probably the number was some scene name or
something ...

Post a reply to this message

>> Urs Holzer <urs### [at] andonyarcom> wrote:
>>> Actually, the rendering window has the title "Persistence of vision
>>> 2.5". I guess they use an old version of POV-Ray because they make a
>>> comparison between the Opteron and an older machine (from 1997).
>>
>>   There's no such version of POV-Ray. There must be a mistake somewhere.
>>

> Never mind. My fault. Probably the number was some scene name or
> something ...

I found it out. It was really my fault. The scene is called 25 because of
the 25-year anniversary of the INFK department.
The machine has rendered up to now about 21000 frames.