POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Render Panoramic photo for use in a sky box? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:23:23 EDT (-0400)
  Render Panoramic photo for use in a sky box? (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: ninjafoo Ng
Subject: Render Panoramic photo for use in a sky box?
Date: 20 Sep 2006 07:43:47
Message: <45112973@news.povray.org>
I have found a few panoramic photos on the web

http://www.philohome.com/panogallery/holidays.htm

How could I use POV to render 6 square tiles that I could then use to map
this image onto the insides of a cube and not loose the effect -
essentially I want to end up with a skybox

Rick

Post a reply to this message

>I have found a few panoramic photos on the web
>
>http://www.philohome.com/panogallery/holidays.htm
>
>How could I use POV to render 6 square tiles that I could then use to map
>this image onto the insides of a cube and not loose the effect -
>essentially I want to end up with a skybox

Since those photos already are cylindrical, it makes more sense to use a
cylindrical sky rather than a box:

cylinder {-y,y,1
  pigment {
    image_map {
       jpeg "mariegalante.jpg"
       interpolate 2
       map_type 2
    }
    translate -y/2
    scale <1,pi,1>
  }
  finish {ambient 1}
  scale 1000
}

The "map_type 2" makes the image_map cylindrical

The "translate -y/2" makes the image run from -y/2 to +y/2 instead of
from 0 to y.

The scale <1,pi,1> scales the image so that the height matches the
width.

The "finish {ambient 1}" prevents shadows being cast onto the sky
backdrop.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure

Post a reply to this message

>>I have found a few panoramic photos on the web
>>
>>http://www.philohome.com/panogallery/holidays.htm
>>
>>How could I use POV to render 6 square tiles that I could then use to map
>>this image onto the insides of a cube and not loose the effect -
>>essentially I want to end up with a skybox
>
> Since those photos already are cylindrical, it makes more sense to use a
> cylindrical sky rather than a box:

The final images are not for use in povray, will be used to texture the
inside of a cube in an opengl app

Rick

Post a reply to this message

> The final images are not for use in povray, will be used to texture the
> inside of a cube in an opengl app

   Look at Paul Bourke site: I seem to remember it had an include file
for this...

http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/projection/

--
Jaime

Post a reply to this message

> How could I use POV to render 6 square tiles that I could then use to map
> this image onto the insides of a cube and not loose the effect -
> essentially I want to end up with a skybox

Here's what I use for that:

#declare camloc = <0,0,0>;
camera {
 location camloc
 right x
 up y
 direction z

 angle 90

 #if (frame_number = 0)
  look_at camloc + x
 #else #if (frame_number = 1)
  look_at camloc + -x
 #else #if (frame_number = 2)
  look_at camloc + y
 #else #if (frame_number = 3)
  look_at camloc + -y
 #else #if (frame_number = 4)
  look_at camloc + z
 #else #if (frame_number = 5)
  look_at camloc + -z
 #end #end #end #end #end #end
}

With command line arguments +kfi0 +kff5 .

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]

Post a reply to this message