POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Looking for airplanes Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:12:36 EDT (-0400)
  Looking for airplanes (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Jon S  Berndt
Subject: Looking for airplanes
Date: 1 Jul 2006 09:17:29
Message: <44a675e9$1@news.povray.org>
I'm looking for some good airplane models for POV-Ray. I'm not having much
luck finding any. If anyone can provide URLs (or models :-)  I'd appreciate
it. Thanks,

Jon
Development Coordinator
JSBSim Project
www.jsbsim.org

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Sobers
Subject: Re: Looking for airplanes
Date: 25 Jul 2006 09:50:01
Message: <web.44c620f2d415a1f0d5f7071c0@news.povray.org>
"Jon S. Berndt" <jsb### [at] hal-pcorg> wrote:
> I'm looking for some good airplane models for POV-Ray. I'm not having much
> luck finding any. If anyone can provide URLs (or models :-)  I'd appreciate
> it. Thanks,
>
> Jon
> Development Coordinator
> JSBSim Project
> www.jsbsim.org

You probably won't find many POV-ready models, at least of specific
aircraft, to very much detail.  Most detailed models will be done in .3ds
or some other polygon modelling program (like Wings3D). Once converted to
POV mesh, these models can be tens to hundreds of MB, so they aren't very
portable over the web.  Your best bet is to search for .3ds models (there
are a lot of free ones out there, usually less than 10 MB) and convert them
to POV mesh using PoseRay.  I've had a bit of success doing that for some
Sci-Fi models.

Mike