POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Variable IOR - has the time come? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 12:21:47 EDT (-0400)
  Variable IOR - has the time come? (Message 21 to 24 of 24)
From: Nekar Xenos
Subject: Re: Variable IOR - has the time come?
Date: 1 Mar 2006 10:33:17
Message: <4405bebd@news.povray.org>
"Jellby" <me### [at] privacynet> wrote in message
news:l2l### [at] badulaqueunexes...
> Could it maybe be "faked" in some way, similarly to how the caustics
> keyword
> fakes photons?

The Pov Reference Manual says under "Language Things that don't work as one
expects":
"
"Can I specify variable IOR for an object? Is there any patch that can do
this? Is it possible?"
Short answer: No.

Long answer:

There are basically two ways of defining variable IOR for an object: IOR
changing on the surface of the object and IOR changing throughout inside the
object.

The first one is physically incorrect. For uniform IOR it simulates physical
IOR quite correctly since for objects with uniform density the light bends
at the surface of the object and nowhere else. However if the density of the
object is not uniform but changes throughout its volume, the light will bend
inside the object, while travelling through it, not only on the surface of
the object.

This is why variable IOR on the surface of the object is incorrect and the
possibility of making this was removed in POV-Ray 3.1. "

I wonder why they kept faked caustics in Pov-Ray when we have photons that
can do it better, and took out surface variable ior leaving us with no
replacement.

--
-Nekar Xenos-
"The truth is out there..."