POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Question on plane Syntax Server Time
1 Aug 2024 14:35:23 EDT (-0400)
  Question on plane Syntax (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Ken Hutson
Subject: Question on plane Syntax
Date: 9 Oct 2005 14:42:34
Message: <4349649a$1@news.povray.org>
The first three plane definitions pass through the parser. The fourth
generates an error. Why?

plane{
 <0,0,1>,1
 pigment{rgb<1,1,1>}
}

plane{
 <0,0,1>
 1
 pigment{rgb<1,1,1>}
}

plane{
 <0,0,1>,-1
 pigment{rgb<1,1,1>}
}

plane{
 <0,0,1>
 -1
 pigment{rgb<1,1,1>}
}

Kenneth Hutson

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Williams
Subject: Re: Question on plane Syntax
Date: 9 Oct 2005 14:59:59
Message: <gB37vMApiWSDFwDn@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Ken Hutson who wrote:
>The first three plane definitions pass through the parser. The fourth
>generates an error. Why?
>
>plane{
> <0,0,1>
> -1
> pigment{rgb<1,1,1>}
>}

In places where a vector expression is expected, "1" is considered to be
the vector <1,1,1>. So "<0,0,1> -1" means <0,0,1> - <1,1,1>, with the
"-" being interpreted a the binary minus operator rather then the unary
minus. In order to avoid this interpretation, the comma is required.

plane{ <0,0,1> 1 pigment{rgb<1,1,1>}} is OK because the 1 cannot be
parsed as part of a vector expression.

plane{ <0,0,1> +1 pigment{rgb<1,1,1>}} will fail because the 1 is parsed
as part of a vector expression, so a comma would be required.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure

Post a reply to this message

"Ken Hutson" <ken### [at] goettingcom> wrote:
> The first three plane definitions pass through the parser. The fourth
> generates an error. Why?
>
> plane{
>  <0,0,1>,1
>  pigment{rgb<1,1,1>}
> }
>
> plane{
>  <0,0,1>
>  1
>  pigment{rgb<1,1,1>}
> }
>
> plane{
>  <0,0,1>,-1
>  pigment{rgb<1,1,1>}
> }
>
> plane{
>  <0,0,1>
>  -1
>  pigment{rgb<1,1,1>}
> }
>
> Kenneth Hutson

4.plane :
You have forgotten "," : it must like that:

plane{
 <0,0,1>,
 -1
 pigment{rgb<1,1,1>}
}

Hasan...

Post a reply to this message

"Hasan3" <PRO### [at] Yahoocom> wrote in message
> "Ken Hutson" <ken### [at] goettingcom> wrote:
>> The first three plane definitions pass through the parser. The fourth
>> generates an error. Why?
>>
>> plane{
>>  <0,0,1>,1
>>  pigment{rgb<1,1,1>}
>> }
>>
>> plane{
>>  <0,0,1>
>>  1
>>  pigment{rgb<1,1,1>}
>> }
>>
>> plane{
>>  <0,0,1>,-1
>>  pigment{rgb<1,1,1>}
>> }
>>
>> plane{
>>  <0,0,1>
>>  -1
>>  pigment{rgb<1,1,1>}
>> }
>>
>> Kenneth Hutson
>

> 4.plane :
> You have forgotten "," : it must like that:
>
> plane{
> <0,0,1>,
> -1
> pigment{rgb<1,1,1>}
> }
>

> Hasan...

Hasan is correct.
Just in case you're wondering why the second example works, it's because
there's no positive or negative sign on the second parameter, so POV-Ray
assumes it's the second parameter and is happy.
With your 4th example the minus sign is taken as a mathematical operation
operating on the vector which evaluates to <-1,-1,0>. Then when POV-Ray
looks for the second parameter it can't find it and complains.

Regards,
Chris B.

Post a reply to this message