POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Auto sub-sectioner for multi-core renders? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 12:24:25 EDT (-0400)
  Auto sub-sectioner for multi-core renders? (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Stefan Viljoen
Subject: Auto sub-sectioner for multi-core renders?
Date: 15 Sep 2005 02:24:06
Message: <43291385@news.povray.org>
Hi all

I know about PVM-pov for utilizing multiple machines in a render, but can it
be applied to rendering a scene on a multi-core machine?

If not, is there any other utility that allows one to automatically split a
Povray render across two or more virtual CPU's? I. e. divide the screen by
two, one half to each processor, and if one finishes first, redivide the
remaining portion, etc. - but on one physical machine, with no network
involved to communicate (this is apparently what PVMPov relies on?)

Any replies appreciated!

Thanks...
--
Stefan Viljoen
Software Support Technician / Programmer

Post a reply to this message

> If not, is there any other utility that allows one to automatically split a
> Povray render across two or more virtual CPU's?

  Actually yes. It's called POV-Ray 3.7.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>> If not, is there any other utility that allows one to automatically split
>> a Povray render across two or more virtual CPU's?
>
>   Actually yes. It's called POV-Ray 3.7.

Hmm - fancy that.