POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PoVEarth Project Server Time
1 Aug 2024 18:23:01 EDT (-0400)
  PoVEarth Project (Message 11 to 11 of 11)
From: Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
Subject: Re: PoVEarth Project
Date: 17 Sep 2005 12:06:55
Message: <432c3f1f$1@news.povray.org>
High!

Thomas de Groot wrote:

> No, I was a researcher on board. Although the true story was a little bit
> more complicated than that, as there was also a political reason for me and
> my colleague to be on board: the (active) participation of the Netherlands
> in the Antarctic Treaty. So, it turned out that we mainly helped others with
> their research, taking the night shifts for example, and every kind of
> things. On board research is a round the clock business you know, as
> shiptime is very expensive.

Interesting... so you are an oceanographer by profession?

> Ouch!! Been dreaming!! 1 GHz is what it is!

I think that is a usable machine for our purpose...

> Those who  feel interested will answer. However, As I said, it is very
> ambitious and probably more of a multi-generational scope. Not sure if it is
> viable project. If I remember well, Christoph Hormann did some awesome
> renders using this data. Ah! But then we speak about a master :-)

Yes, they are awesome... and, according to his homepage, he is studying
engineering, so he's a good deal more into math than we both... but I
hope we can catch up sooner or later!

Nevertheless, in the coming weeks I will start a new sub-section in my
homepage where I lay out a basic concept for PoVEarth, illustrated with
several preliminary renderings... and then we'll have to wait and see!

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar