POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Wrapping a 360 photo around the inside of a sphere Server Time
1 Aug 2024 18:21:06 EDT (-0400)
  Wrapping a 360 photo around the inside of a sphere (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Rick Measham
Subject: Wrapping a 360 photo around the inside of a sphere
Date: 7 May 2005 06:17:08
Message: <427c95a4$1@news.povray.org>
Over at http://www.plattenhof.com/ehtml/index.html, if you go to virtual
tour you can get a whole pile of 360 degree photos, taken for use in
quicktime VR presentations.

It struck me that it should be possible to image_map these onto the
inside of a sphere in POVRay and be able to view them just like in QTVR.

The following is my quick-scene test. It doesn't work and produces
horribly distorted pictures. I'm sure I'm missing something simple!

Learned ones, am I just crazy thinking I should be able to do this?

I'm convinced the pictures are 360 degrees left-to-right, but I don't
think they're complete top-to-bottom, so I probably need to adjust my
scale a bit to compensate.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Rick Measham

P.S. If you don't want to go to the site and click about to get to the
pictures, the one in my scene is at
http://www.plattenhof.com/pict/360_lobby.jpg

camera {
   location  <0.0, 0.0, 0.0>