POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Elliptical Torus? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 08:15:48 EDT (-0400)
  Elliptical Torus? (Message 21 to 21 of 21)
From: David Cameron
Subject: Re: Elliptical Torus?
Date: 11 Feb 2005 19:21:54
Message: <420d4c22@news.povray.org>
"Mike Williams" <nos### [at] econymdemoncouk> wrote in message
news:vUM### [at] econymdemoncouk...
> Wasn't it David Cameron who wrote:
> >
> >It would be nice to have an elliptical torus which worked in the general
> >case with all CSG operations, but your macro solves all my current
problems.

> The real parametric version I provided should work in all cases. It's
> only the quick approximation that uses a mesh.

I seem to have problems with the real parametic version you provided Mike.
I used it cut and pasted from your original post.

When I rendered the elliptical torus itself, I got this result:
http://www.camnet.myby.co.uk/images/eleptical_torus_test2.jpg

As you can see the torus seems to be "breaking up" in places.

When rendering my "cutter object" in several orientations, I got this
result:
http://www.camnet.myby.co.uk/images/p_etorus_test2.jpg

Similar results to the "param.inc mesh version".

When I render my "cutout from the UI surface", I get this result:
http://www.camnet.myby.co.uk/images/e_cutout_test2.jpg

As you can see, this introduces a line around the cutout and some "spotting"
near the inner part of the cutout.

Dave