POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : issue when scaling sphere_sweep ( linear_spline ) Server Time
2 Aug 2024 08:13:14 EDT (-0400)
  issue when scaling sphere_sweep ( linear_spline ) (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Jeremy M  Praay
Subject: issue when scaling sphere_sweep ( linear_spline )
Date: 5 Jan 2005 20:56:48
Message: <41dc9ae0$1@news.povray.org>
Basically, if you take a sphere_sweep that's a linear_spline and scale it
rather small, you can get some very strange defects in the sphere_sweep.
Rotating the object and changing the scale seems to take care of the problem
in some cases.  I mentioned this quite awhile ago, but then I never got back
to it.  Additionally, it seems to worsened from 3.5 to 3.6.

I would simply guess that the scale is too small (which can happen), except
for the fact that if you change it into a cubic_spline, the defect goes
away, and the sphere_sweep can be scaled much smaller.  I've scaled
sphere_sweeps in various sizes that were cubic_splines, and I've never
noticed this problem.

Using the code below (complete scene meant to create an insect leg), you can
easily and quickly see how changing the scale from 0.3 to 0.05 increases the
defect in the leg.  Rotating the leg can make the defect disappear (in some
cases), or make it much worse.  Uncommenting the code in the "object"
section (and keeping everything else) shows how the problem can appear
differently, depending on the rotation.

Am I missing something?  Or is it a known issue?  Should this be reported as
a bug?

(written for pov 3.6.1)

---------------

camera {
  location  <0.0, 0.5, -4.0>
  look_at   <0.0, 0,  0.0>
}

background {rgb 1}

#declare Leg=
  sphere_sweep {
    linear_spline
    7,
    <0,0>, 0.2,
    <1,0>, 0.15,
    <1.5,-1>, 0.15,
    <3.75,-0.6>, 0.25,
    <6,0>, 0.15,
    <7,-4>, 0.1,
    <8,-4.3>, 0.1
 }

object { Leg
  scale 0.2
  //rotate x*-60
  //rotate z*-40
  //rotate y*52
  //scale 0.2
}

--
Jeremy
www.beantoad.com

Post a reply to this message

Am I the only one that uses sphere_sweeps with linear_splines?

:-(

--
Jeremy
www.beantoad.com