POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Media, Intervals, samples and getting results Server Time
2 Aug 2024 10:21:42 EDT (-0400)
  Media, Intervals, samples and getting results (Message 16 to 25 of 25)
From: "Jérôme M. Berger"
Subject: Re: Media, Intervals, samples and getting results
Date: 4 Jan 2005 17:31:38
Message: <41db194a$1@news.povray.org>

Post a reply to this message

From: "Jérôme M. Berger"
Date: 4 Jan 2005 17:34:29
Message: <41db19f5@news.povray.org>

Jellby wrote:
| In my experiments, I did not see any significant difference in the
output by
| fiddling with aa. According to your explanation, "samples 10 aa_level 8
| aa_threshold 0.0001" should give similar results to "samples 160
aa_level 4
| aa_threshold 0.0001", and I don't see that with the above example.
Could
| you give a more clear example?

	Like Slime said, you'd need to have aa_threshold set to 0 to get the
same results (if pov accepted). You can however get the same effect
by using a ridiculously small value. Moreover I wrote a little too
fast yesterday: the precise formula is (min_samples-1) * 2^aa_level +
1, assuming of course that min_samples is at least 3.

|>Note that this only applies to subsurface scattering simulations: eg
|>in cases when you have a very dense nearly uniform media.
|

| Yes, my experiments are confined to uniform media. I wonder if this
adaptive
| sampling and antialiasing is only valid for non-uniform media
(opposite to
| your sentence above), maybe uniform media makes adaptive sampling
| unnecessary...
|
| Or maybe I'm making some mistakes.

	It looks like povray does some optimizations in the case of a
constant density media. I did a quick check by adding the following
density to your code:

density {
~  spherical
~  color_map {
~    [ 0.0 rgb 1.0 ]
~    [ 1.0 rgb 1.0 ]
~  }
}

	Since the colormap is rgb 1.0 everywhere, this should give the same
results as the original but it doesn't. The result is pretty much
what I described in my previous post (except that samples 129 takes
much longer to render since there are a lot of pure black samples
taken that get culled in the samples 3 case). You may take a look for
example at those pictures done with aa_threshold 1e-200:

aa_level 8
samples 3
http://jeberger.free.fr/tmp/media-3-8.png
aa_level 2
samples 129
http://jeberger.free.fr/tmp/media-129-2.png

	I'd say that this is a bug.

	Note that you can probably get the correct result with a faster
render time if you disable this optimization by adding a pseudo
density like I just did...

		Jerome

PS: If the pictures aren't there, try again a bit later: as of this
posting, the second one hadn't finished rendering...

- --
******************************
*      Jerome M. Berger      *
* mailto:jbe### [at] ifrancecom *
*  http://jeberger.free.fr/  *
******************************

Post a reply to this message

From: "Jérôme M. Berger"
Date: 4 Jan 2005 17:49:43
Message: <41db1d87$1@news.povray.org>

Post a reply to this message

From: Slime
Date: 4 Jan 2005 20:16:38
Message: <41db3ff6@news.povray.org>
> You are essentially correct, except that the adaptive sampling
> *should* take care of that.

I was under the impression that the adaptive sampling only took into account
the values of the media density, and not the lighting.

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]

Post a reply to this message

From: Slime
Date: 4 Jan 2005 20:20:09
Message: <41db40c9@news.povray.org>
> Which leads me to conclude that the method 3 default intervals is 1 and
> samples 10, if the media samples in the render stats are an appropriate
> indicator.

Ah, thanks.

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]

Post a reply to this message

From: Jellby
Date: 5 Jan 2005 12:20:56
Message: <41dc21f7@news.povray.org>

> It looks like povray does some optimizations in the case of a
> constant density media. I did a quick check by adding the following
> density to your code:
>
> density {
> ~  spherical
> ~  color_map {
> ~    [ 0.0 rgb 1.0 ]
> ~    [ 1.0 rgb 1.0 ]
> ~  }
> }
>
> Since the colormap is rgb 1.0 everywhere, this should give the same
> results as the original but it doesn't. The result is pretty much
> what I described in my previous post (except that samples 129 takes
> much longer to render since there are a lot of pure black samples
> taken that get culled in the samples 3 case). You may take a look for
> example at those pictures done with aa_threshold 1e-200:

Which POV-Ray version and platform are you using? I could not reproduce your
results, I got quite the same effect I was getting with constant density:
overbright media with "aa_level 8 samples 3" even if I introduce a slope in
the color_map (then the media is different, of course, but still not
similar when the samples and aa_level are varied).

--
light_source{9+9*x,1}camera{orthographic look_at(1-y)/4angle 30location
9/4-z*4}light_source{-9*z,1}union{box{.9-z.1+x clipped_by{plane{2+y-4*x

Post a reply to this message

From: "Jérôme M. Berger"
Date: 5 Jan 2005 14:12:43
Message: <41dc3c2b$1@news.povray.org>

Post a reply to this message

From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 5 Jan 2005 14:22:04
Message: <cjameshuff-6EEC91.14220405012005@news.povray.org>
In article <41db3ff6@news.povray.org>, "Slime" <fak### [at] emailaddress>
wrote:

> > You are essentially correct, except that the adaptive sampling
> > *should* take care of that.
>
> I was under the impression that the adaptive sampling only took into account
> the values of the media density, and not the lighting.

If it does so, it should probably be considered a bug...I can't see how
it would discard any samples that don't actually need to be taken.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message

From: "Jérôme M. Berger"
Date: 5 Jan 2005 14:57:39
Message: <41dc46b3@news.povray.org>

Post a reply to this message

From: George Pantazopoulos
Date: 7 Jan 2005 17:05:00
Message: <web.41df06e4a2bc22c17aa29ee90@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford <mra### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Someone care to explain the following from the manual:
>
> "It's usually best to only use one interval with method 3. Too many
> intervals can lead to artefacts, and POV will create more intervals if
> it needs them."
>
> It seems with one interval, I don't get good results. If I up the
> intervals to 5 or 10, it seems to work better, but is slower in general.
>
> Anyone have any clue about the relationship and why the manual asks to
> use only 1 interval?
>

> --
> ~Mike

Btw, I think it would be a great idea to put the valuable info learned here
into the new POV-Ray Wiki at http://www.wikipov.org/

(see this thread:
http://news.povray.org/povray.general/thread/%3C41dd4071%40news.povray.org%3E/?mtop=13
)