POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Differences in rendering 3.50c vs. 3.6.1 Server Time
2 Aug 2024 10:25:41 EDT (-0400)
  Differences in rendering 3.50c vs. 3.6.1 (Message 1 to 10 of 14)
From: Jakob Hunsballe
Subject: Differences in rendering 3.50c vs. 3.6.1
Date: 24 Nov 2004 17:45:00
Message: <web.41a50dcca3578d76ab5644eb0@news.povray.org>
Hi - some time ago i gathered some .pov files from various places (i.e. the
web) in order to benchmark povray, after upgrading to v3.6.1 one of the
files renders a different picture than previously.. The code (which i did
not write) along with a picture can be found here:
http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/tom3d/pov43/ilpov43e.htm
the first heave (and others) give totally different results in 3.6.1 vs.
3.50c
(v3.50c renders a version similar to the picture on that page, while v3.6.1
does not)

Im quite sure I didnt optimize too much (sloppy math). I can reproduce the
(buggy) result by a standard compilated (./configure && make) version of
povray. I noticed there was a bug previously i smooth_triangle - so the
scene might rely on that bug - since the scene is marked v3.1.

As a side remark - things (several different scenes - previously mentioned)
seem to render slower in v3.6.1 (gcc and icc) compared to v3.50c. Not that
I really care - but i'd like to know if others experienced a drop in
performance.

And finally: am I the only one missing float support for df3 files?

Post a reply to this message

> Hi - some time ago i gathered some .pov files from various places (i.e. the
> web) in order to benchmark povray, after upgrading to v3.6.1 one of the
> files renders a different picture than previously.

Go figure - it is a different version so changes are to be expected.
There are various changes from 3.5 to 3.6 as well as from 3.6 to 3.6.1
that can lead to quite significant differences.

> As a side remark - things (several different scenes - previously mentioned)
> seem to render slower in v3.6.1 (gcc and icc) compared to v3.50c. Not that
> I really care - but i'd like to know if others experienced a drop in
> performance.

It is surely possible to design a scene that renders slower in 3.6 than
in 3.5 with the same render settings.  To draw broad conclusions from
this like you did is not a good idea.

Christoph

Last updated 23 Sep. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message