POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : -QR setting Server Time
19 May 2024 19:09:26 EDT (-0400)
  -QR setting (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: martin
Subject: -QR setting
Date: 24 Sep 2004 08:59:30
Message: <41541a32$1@news.povray.org>
I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find much
when I searched with the web interface.

It used to be that radiosity could be turned on and off from the command
line with +QR/-QR, but not anymore. Is this really the way most people
would like to have it?

I find that it's convenient to have a radiosity block with all kinds of
setting in it, and then have a simple way to toggle rendering with or
without radiosity (especially since I have a program which generates POV
files). IMHO, the best alternative would be to be able to disable
radiosity with -QR, but to have it on by default, if there is a
radiosity block in the scene file.

But maybe this behaviour is not likely to be changed again.

/ martin

Post a reply to this message

> It used to be that radiosity could be turned on and off from the command
> line with +QR/-QR, but not anymore. Is this really the way most people
> would like to have it?

A way to achieve this without the (dropped) command lines parameters:

#declare USE_RADIOSITY = on;

global_settings {
	#if (USE_RADIOSITY)
		radiosity {
			//your settings here
		}
	#end
}

HTH,
Florian
--
Minimum Requirement #6: You have setup three quake servers in your
company without the sysadmin noticing

Post a reply to this message

> I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find much
> when I searched with the web interface.
>
> It used to be that radiosity could be turned on and off from the command
> line with +QR/-QR, but not anymore. Is this really the way most people
> would like to have it?
>
> I find that it's convenient to have a radiosity block with all kinds of
> setting in it, and then have a simple way to toggle rendering with or
> without radiosity (especially since I have a program which generates POV
> files). IMHO, the best alternative would be to be able to disable
> radiosity with -QR, but to have it on by default, if there is a
> radiosity block in the scene file.
>
> But maybe this behaviour is not likely to be changed again.
>
> / martin

You can use +q8. According to the documentation, quality level 9 turns on
media and radiosity. If you don't care about media, then +q8 is pretty much
the same thing as -qr.