POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Night Sky Server Time
2 Aug 2024 16:23:30 EDT (-0400)
  Night Sky (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Josh
Subject: Night Sky
Date: 9 Aug 2004 10:19:46
Message: <41178802@news.povray.org>
Can anyone point me at a bit of pov code to produce a good pattern of stars.

I've got an architectual image and want a nighttime sky in the background.

Unfortunately the "stars.inc" file gives my way too many stars.

I've tried using an image_map but the result was unsatisfactory.

I'm trying to paste the texture onto the interior of a sphere.

Thanks

Post a reply to this message

> Can anyone point me at a bit of pov code to produce a good pattern of stars.
>
> I've got an architectual image and want a nighttime sky in the background.
>
> Unfortunately the "stars.inc" file gives my way too many stars.
>
> I've tried using an image_map but the result was unsatisfactory.
>
> I'm trying to paste the texture onto the interior of a sphere.

You can try to place small spheres on your sky for the individual stars.
  The best size strongly depends on the aa settings.  To get single
pixel stars even with strong aa you can try to use very bright spheres.
  When you use MegaPOV you can alternatively use glows - this way you
can also easily achieve a kind of halo around the stars.

Christoph

Last updated 06 Jul. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message

> Can anyone point me at a bit of pov code to produce a good pattern of stars.
>
> I've got an architectual image and want a nighttime sky in the background.
>
> Unfortunately the "stars.inc" file gives my way too many stars.
>
> I've tried using an image_map but the result was unsatisfactory.
>
> I'm trying to paste the texture onto the interior of a sphere.

try this:

sky_sphere {
 pigment {
  crackle form <1,1,0>
  color_map {
   [.4 rgb 10]
   [.5 rgb 0]
  }
  scale .002
 }
}

And if necessary, adjust the scale a bit...

cu!
--
camera{location-z*3}#macro G(b,e)b+(e-b)*(C/50)#end#macro L(b,e,k,l)#local C=0
;#while(C<50)sphere{G(b,e),.1pigment{rgb G(k,l)}finish{ambient 1}}#local C=C+1