POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : XStars.inc or its replacement Server Time
3 Aug 2024 02:22:13 EDT (-0400)
  XStars.inc or its replacement (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Apollo16
Subject: XStars.inc or its replacement
Date: 7 May 2004 11:57:02
Message: <409BB199.3030801@earthlink.net>
Hi all!

I want to make a short demo for my astronomy class that shows how
constellations distort as you move through space. (i.e. Orion only looks
like Orion from Earth's neighborhood) I also want to demo other things
like precession etc. Stuff you can get in planetaria software packages.
I want to do this to learn and because I'm cheap.

I did a search and found that someone had already made up an .inc file
with stars, distances etc. However, the .inc references were from 1999
and the website no longer exists. The title of the file was XStars.inc.
Is the original author still around? Does anyone have a copy or is there
another file someplace that replaces XStars.inc? (Yes... besides being
cheap... I'm also lazy and don't want to have to reinvent the wheel.) I
am also aware of several other good .inc files for making "pretty"
pictures (like Chris Colefax's really great stuff on his site
<http://www.geocities.com/ccolefax/>) but I am looking for something
based on actual stars and real distance data. Thanks!

Kathy

Post a reply to this message