POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Building a fast PC... Server Time
3 Aug 2024 14:12:12 EDT (-0400)
  Building a fast PC... (Message 21 to 30 of 62)
From: Tek
Subject: Re: Building a fast PC...
Date: 27 Mar 2004 17:35:38
Message: <406601ba$1@news.povray.org>
I'm getting confused, what system are you saying I should buy?

--
Tek
www.evilsuperbrain.com

"Warp" <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote in message news:4065fe97@news.povray.org...
> laurent.artaud[AT]free.fr <"laurent.artaud[AT]free.fr"> wrote:
> > BUT, being a x86 compatible processor, it MUST have 32 bits registers
> > and ALU. Using 64 bits registers with a 32 bits ALU is STUPID, so if the
> > Athlon-XP had been build with 64 bits registers and ALU, be sure that
> > they would have advertised about it (just as they are now about the
> > Athlon-64...).
>
>   This is true for the *CPU*. However, it's not the CPU which handles
> the floating point code, but the FPU.
>   The FPU is completely separate from the CPU. The FPU has eight 80-bit
> registers and it performs all floating point operations on them. I don't
> know, however, if the FPU is able to load 64 and 80-bit floats directly
> from memory, but I wouldn't be surprised if it could (actually I'm not
> sure how wide the memory bus is in athlons, but I would be surprised
> if it was narrower than 64 bits).
>   My point was, thus, that the CPU being a 32-bit architecture doesn't
> necessarily mean the FPU is limited to handling only 32 bits wide
> values at a time.
>
> --
> plane{-x+y,-1pigment{bozo color_map{[0rgb x][1rgb x+y]}turbulence 1}}
> sphere{0,2pigment{rgbt 1}interior{media{emission 1density{spherical
> density_map{[0rgb 0][.5rgb<1,.5>][1rgb 1]}turbulence.9}}}scale
> <1,1,3>hollow}text{ttf"timrom""Warp".1,0translate<-1,-.1,2>}//  - Warp -

Post a reply to this message

From: Apache
Date: 27 Mar 2004 18:00:20
Message: <40660784@news.povray.org>
For doing long animations you can eat your heart out at the Internet Movie
Project. I myself have rendered animations there and it's very powerful.
www.imp.org

Post a reply to this message