POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : bisecting circles - maths help please Server Time
3 Aug 2024 16:22:55 EDT (-0400)
  bisecting circles - maths help please (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Tom Melly
Subject: bisecting circles - maths help please
Date: 2 Feb 2004 07:11:38
Message: <401e3e7a$1@news.povray.org>
See: http://www.uk.ccl.com/tom/bi_circ.gif for accompanying illustration.

Given a circle of radius r1 with a centre at <0,0,0>, how do I calculate the
radius (r2) and vertical displacement (h2) of a second circle, such that the two
circles bisect each other at y=0 with a particular height (h1) of the second
circle at its apex?

Hopefully the attached link will clear up any ambiguities in what I'm asking.

(I have to admit that the question has become slightly academic, since I've
accomplished roughly what I needed with two identical circles, and some scaling
of y on the second circle)

--
#macro A(V,B,C,R)#while(B-256)#if(V-128/B>=0)sphere{0,.5translate<C-4R-1,9>
pigment{rgb<1-C/8R/2C/8>}}#local V=V-128/B;#end#local B=B*2;#local C=C+1;#

Post a reply to this message