POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray on PlayStation 3? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 22:16:54 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray on PlayStation 3? (Message 11 to 11 of 11)
From: Ghost Dog
Subject: Re: POV-Ray on PlayStation 3?
Date: 2 Aug 2005 11:15:00
Message: <web.42ef8d2b837e7861b318f8ca0@news.povray.org>
> No retailer *can* charge for Linux, They can charge for the manuals or the
> media they distribute it on but not the software itself.
That's why they may be unwilling to put it on the shelves, because it costs
them to distribute (money to pay workers, costs of ordering[covered by
company], etc.).
think about the sales pitch to get a retailer interested:
Linux represenatative:"ok, so we have this software called linux to run on
the PS3"
Company CEO:"no problem. what's the RRP?"
Linux:"nothing, except the manufacturing costs. you can't charge or discount
at all, but you see, that's because of the license."
CEO:"and who will cover the costs for marketing?"
Linux:"well, linux is freely available on the internet, so no-one from linux
will cover it. i guess either you or sony."
CEO:"get out. now."
:D