POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Density, bozo and odd colors Server Time
3 Aug 2024 16:24:53 EDT (-0400)
  Density, bozo and odd colors (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Severi Salminen
Subject: Density, bozo and odd colors
Date: 2 Dec 2003 05:30:45
Message: <3fcc69d5$1@news.povray.org>
Hi again! (Maybe I should move to noob forum...)

Well, I tried to do dust by adding density statement to
media/scattering. I did:

box {
     <-100,-100,-100>, <100,100,100>
     pigment {checker rgb 1, rgb 0}
     interior {
         media {
             scattering {
                 1, rgb 0.2
             }
             density {
                 bozo
             }
         }
     }
     hollow
}

It didn't work as expected: the dust had all kinds of colors, not gray.
Manual states that bozo has a built in color map so does density also
have components for different color components (red, green blue)? What
is the proper way to have the same density for all color components? The
next worked but is there a better way to only define that bozo gives the
same value for red, green and blue?

density_map {
[0.0 rgb 0]
[1.0 rgb 1]
}

PS. Never mind the actual result, I removed all the scaling and
unimportant stuff...

Severi Salminen

Post a reply to this message

"Severi Salminen" <sev### [at] NOT_THISsibafi> wrote in message
> Hi again! (Maybe I should move to noob forum...)
>
> Well, I tried to do dust by adding density statement to
> media/scattering. I did:
>
> box {
>      <-100,-100,-100>, <100,100,100>
>      pigment {checker rgb 1, rgb 0}
>      interior {
>          media {
>              scattering {
>                  1, rgb 0.2
>              }
>              density {
>                  bozo

IIRC you need to specify a color map for bozo - something like

             density {
                 bozo
                 color_map{
                  [0 White]
                  [1 Black]
                 }
             }

Also, iirc, one of the other patterns is identical to bozo, but doesn't have the
assoc. color map problem - spotted or leopard iirc.

Post a reply to this message

> Also, iirc, one of the other patterns is identical to bozo, but doesn't have
> the assoc. color map problem - spotted or leopard iirc.

Outside of a normal, bozo, bumps, and spotted are identical. Inside a
normal, bumps is a bit different, using its own method for perturbing
normals.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message

 Severi Salminen <sev### [at] NOT_THISsibafi> wrote:

> Manual states that bozo has a built in color map so does density also
> have components for different color components (red, green blue)?

It does. This is what allows you to specify varying colors for the media.

> What
> is the proper way to have the same density for all color components? The
> next worked but is there a better way to only define that bozo gives the
> same value for red, green and blue?

The method you used, specifying a black-white density map, is the right
way to do it.