POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : wings3d povray plugin Server Time
3 Aug 2024 18:23:38 EDT (-0400)
  wings3d povray plugin (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Slime
Subject: wings3d povray plugin
Date: 31 Oct 2003 01:47:01
Message: <3fa20565$1@news.povray.org>
Hey, I was wondering if anyone is using the most recent version of wings3d
with the POV-Ray export plugin? I have been completely unable to get the
plugin to work, and it's very frustrating. If anyone has gotten it to work
and could help me figure out what's wrong, that would be great. Thanks

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]

Post a reply to this message

> Hey, I was wondering if anyone is using the most recent version of wings3d
> with the POV-Ray export plugin? I have been completely unable to get the
> plugin to work, and it's very frustrating. If anyone has gotten it to work
> and could help me figure out what's wrong, that would be great. Thanks

I had the same problem, and the reason is simple: the plug-in is outdated.
The only way is to use an older version of Wings3D, at least that's what
I've heard.

--
"Tim Nikias v2.0"
Homepage: <http://www.nolights.de>

---

Date: 31 Oct 2003 05:46:54
Message: <MPG.1a0c5cfa4b48246b989680@news.povray.org>
I had the same problem with plugin version 0_98_16b.

However, I could install plugin 0_98_16a with Wings 0.98.17c for windows
and as far as I can tell it works allright.

Fred

Post a reply to this message

> Hey, I was wondering if anyone is using the most recent version of wings3d
> with the POV-Ray export plugin? I have been completely unable to get the
> plugin to work, and it's very frustrating. If anyone has gotten it to work
> and could help me figure out what's wrong, that would be great. Thanks
>
>  - Slime
>  [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]
I think the plugin is outdated. Couldn't you use obj-export and Poseray?

D.

Post a reply to this message

From: Slime
Date: 31 Oct 2003 11:44:02
Message: <3fa29152$1@news.povray.org>
> I think the plugin is outdated. Couldn't you use obj-export and Poseray?

The last version came out on the 18th. I'm trying to get a mesh2 object out
of this, because I actually have plans to use the file outside of POV-Ray (I
like the format; it's easy to parse for my own programs).

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]

Post a reply to this message

From: Slime
Date: 31 Oct 2003 11:44:47
Message: <3fa2917f$1@news.povray.org>
> However, I could install plugin 0_98_16a with Wings 0.98.17c for windows
> and as far as I can tell it works allright.

Could you do me a huge favor and show me the directory tree of your wings3d
installation folder?

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]

Post a reply to this message

From: Slime
Date: 31 Oct 2003 11:45:47
Message: <3fa291bb$1@news.povray.org>
> I had the same problem, and the reason is simple: the plug-in is outdated.
> The only way is to use an older version of Wings3D, at least that's what
> I've heard.

Well, I'm using the version that came out on the 18th with the version of
Wings it was written for... =\

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]

Post a reply to this message

From: Slime
Date: 31 Oct 2003 11:49:09
Message: <3fa29285@news.povray.org>
> > However, I could install plugin 0_98_16a with Wings 0.98.17c for windows
> > and as far as I can tell it works allright.

Oh, and if you could email the installer for 0_98_16a to me (
http://www.slimeland.com/contact/ ), that'd be really helpful too! A link to
a download for it, if you know where it is, would work fine also. Thanks! =)

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]

Post a reply to this message

From: John VanSickle
Date: 31 Oct 2003 16:44:39
Message: <3FA2D7C2.44AD3DC7@hotmail.com>
Slime wrote:

> Hey, I was wondering if anyone is using the most recent version of
> wings3d with the POV-Ray export plugin?

Can't answer this, but...

The author of Wings3d has been pinging me about my subdivision surface
macros (v2), because he found some bugs.  Apparently the next version
of Wings3d will be exporting files that can use the macros.

Regards,
John

Date: 3 Nov 2003 04:58:02
Message: <MPG.1a10460b7dcc6961989681@news.povray.org>
> Could you do me a huge favor and show me the directory tree of your wings3d
> installation folder?

Actually I just unzipped the distribution file wingspov-0.98.16a_i.tgz.gz
(I always keep old versions of my downloads for some time, just in case).
Then I went to wings3d and clicked on "Install plugin" in the File menu,
selected the wingspov-0_98_16a_i.tar file (installation doesn't seem to
work directly with the distrib file).
And the plugin executables ended in this directory:

C:\Program Files\
    wings3d_0.98.17c\lib\wings-0.98.17c\plugins\plugins\import_export

and the sources in

C:\Program Files\
    wings3d_0.98.17c\lib\wings-0.98.17c\plugins\plugins_src\import_export

The same procedure didn't work at all with the 0.98.16b distrib of the
plugin. BTW, I just checked, and it looks like the 0.98.16b distrib only
contains the pov_ui.beam file. (haven't tried just to overwrite this one
in an older installation...)

I send a hidden copy of this message to Danni A. Coy, just lo let him
know. (BTW, thanks Danni for the plugin! great job you're doing!)

Cheers,

Fred