POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV code for a crumbling wall Server Time
3 Aug 2024 18:22:36 EDT (-0400)
  POV code for a crumbling wall (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Jim Kress
Subject: POV code for a crumbling wall
Date: 28 Oct 2003 16:25:07
Message: <3f9edeb3$1@news.povray.org>
Would anyone provide to me some POV code for a crumbling wall?  I searched
the POV newsgroups and could not find any such code.  All I could find was
code for a brick wall.  I have a solid wall so the brick code will not work.
It won't give me the jagged, crumbled edge characteristic of a solid wall
being broken (think cement wall).

Thanks.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

 "Jim Kress" <pov### [at] kressworkscom> wrote:

> Would anyone provide to me some POV code for a crumbling wall?  I searched
> the POV newsgroups and could not find any such code.  All I could find was
> code for a brick wall.  I have a solid wall so the brick code will not work.
> It won't give me the jagged, crumbled edge characteristic of a solid wall
> being broken (think cement wall).

Intersect a box with a height field, or use an isosurface. The height
field method can only easily do crumbling from the top, an isosurface
can imitate crumbling in the sides as well.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message

>  "Jim Kress" <pov### [at] kressworkscom> wrote:
>
>> Would anyone provide to me some POV code for a crumbling wall?  I
>> searched
>> the POV newsgroups and could not find any such code.  All I could find
>> was
>> code for a brick wall.  I have a solid wall so the brick code will not
>> work. It won't give me the jagged, crumbled edge characteristic of a
>> solid wall being broken (think cement wall).
>
> Intersect a box with a height field, or use an isosurface. The height
> field method can only easily do crumbling from the top, an isosurface
> can imitate crumbling in the sides as well.

I did some kind of test image for this method. I tried to imitate
http://graphics.stanford.EDU/papers/displace/gamma-corrected/
My image including povray source is on
http://mitglied.lycos.de/willhalm/tracegallery/

Happy tracing
Thomas

--
www := web

Post a reply to this message

"Jim Kress" <pov### [at] kressworkscom> wrote in message
> Would anyone provide to me some POV code for a crumbling wall?

Are you after something like:

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/11818/

If so, code is in p.b.s-f:

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.scene-files/14660/

Cheers,
Ian Shumsky

Post a reply to this message

"Christopher James Huff" <cja### [at] earthlinknet> wrote in message
news:cja### [at] netplexaussieorg...
> In article <3f9edeb3$1@news.povray.org>,
>  "Jim Kress" <pov### [at] kressworkscom> wrote:
>
> > Would anyone provide to me some POV code for a crumbling wall?  I
searched
> > the POV newsgroups and could not find any such code.  All I could find
was
> > code for a brick wall.  I have a solid wall so the brick code will not
work.
> > It won't give me the jagged, crumbled edge characteristic of a solid
wall
> > being broken (think cement wall).
>
> Intersect a box with a height field, or use an isosurface. The height
> field method can only easily do crumbling from the top, an isosurface
> can imitate crumbling in the sides as well.
>
> --
> Christopher James Huff <cja### [at] earthlinknet>
> http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
> POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
> http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message

Thanks.  Looks interesting.  I've downloaded the code and will give it a
try.

Jim

"Thomas Willhalm" <tho### [at] wwwde> wrote in message
> Christopher James Huff wrote:
>
> > In article <3f9edeb3$1@news.povray.org>,
> >  "Jim Kress" <pov### [at] kressworkscom> wrote:
> >
> >> Would anyone provide to me some POV code for a crumbling wall?  I
> >> searched
> >> the POV newsgroups and could not find any such code.  All I could find
> >> was
> >> code for a brick wall.  I have a solid wall so the brick code will not
> >> work. It won't give me the jagged, crumbled edge characteristic of a
> >> solid wall being broken (think cement wall).
> >
> > Intersect a box with a height field, or use an isosurface. The height
> > field method can only easily do crumbling from the top, an isosurface
> > can imitate crumbling in the sides as well.
>
> I did some kind of test image for this method. I tried to imitate
> http://graphics.stanford.EDU/papers/displace/gamma-corrected/
> My image including povray source is on
> http://mitglied.lycos.de/willhalm/tracegallery/
>
> Happy tracing