POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Write macro-generated objects to file? Server Time
4 Aug 2024 06:16:38 EDT (-0400)
  Write macro-generated objects to file? (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Torsten Crass
Subject: Write macro-generated objects to file?
Date: 22 Jul 2003 11:46:04
Message: <3f1d5c3c@news.povray.org>
Hi there!

When populating a scene with loads of macro-generated objects, I thought
it would be a nice idea to run those time-consuming macros only once,
write their "return values" (in this case: unions of triangles) to an
.inc file and re-use this file when further experimenting with the
scene. However, I couldn't figure out a way to write those objects to a
file - the #write directive apparently only accepts strings, numbers and
vectors.
Does anybody have a clue how one could save macro-generated objects to a
file - i.e. use PovRay for creating its own .inc files?

Thanx in advance -

	Torsten

Post a reply to this message

> When populating a scene with loads of macro-generated objects, I thought
> it would be a nice idea to run those time-consuming macros only once,
> write their "return values" (in this case: unions of triangles) to an
> .inc file and re-use this file when further experimenting with the
> scene. However, I couldn't figure out a way to write those objects to a
> file - the #write directive apparently only accepts strings, numbers and
> vectors.
> Does anybody have a clue how one could save macro-generated objects to a
> file - i.e. use PovRay for creating its own .inc files?

You can find some samples for using the #write directive in the standard
include file 'shapes.inc'.  As you said #write supports strings, floats
and vectors.  Since all objects consist of such elements you can write
them quite easily.

Christoph

Last updated 17 Jun. 2003 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message