POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Why not create an official 3.6 build with all of the HDRI changes Server Time
4 Aug 2024 12:20:24 EDT (-0400)
  Why not create an official 3.6 build with all of the HDRI changes (Message 11 to 20 of 27)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 7 Messages >>>
From: Vahur Krouverk
Subject: Re: Why not create an official 3.6 build with all of the HDRIchanges
Date: 11 Jun 2003 16:24:04
Message: <3ee78fe4@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
  While there are a few dozen
> users who play with some of the features a few unofficial versions provide,
> there are tens of thousands of users who use the official version of POV-Ray
> for their work because it provides a stable and reliable environment with
> finished features that have been well-tested.

Just out of curiosity, is there really tens of thousands users of POV-Ray?

Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten
Date: 11 Jun 2003 16:55:01
Message: <web.3ee795ec3c66f33811b67abe0@news.povray.org>
Vahur Krouverk wrote:
>Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
>  While there are a few dozen
>> users who play with some of the features a few unofficial versions provide,
>> there are tens of thousands of users who use the official version of POV-Ray
>> for their work because it provides a stable and reliable environment with
>> finished features that have been well-tested.
>>
>Just out of curiosity, is there really tens of thousands users of POV-Ray?

Well, there are tens of thousands of downloads of POV-Ray every month. Not
counting mirrors, computer magazine distributions, distribution with 3rd
party software and so on. So if only a few percent of those who download
POV-Ray actually use it...

    Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

From: Tom Galvin
Date: 11 Jun 2003 18:30:21
Message: <Xns9397BC2E2F24Ftomatimporg@204.213.191.226>
"Thorsten Froehlich" <tho### [at] trfde> wrote in

>>   4) It would just further delay 4.0
>
> No, it would kill POV-Ray.

No offense Thorsten, but I don't think you could kill POV-Ray now, even if
you wanted to.  But I understand what you meant.

Post a reply to this message

From: Harold
Date: 11 Jun 2003 19:27:00
Message: <3ee7bac4@news.povray.org>
ABX,

That's great. I'm looking forward to the MegaPOV with HDRI support!
That should work fine. With 3.1 people who wanted the experimental or
advanced features migrated to MegaPOV, and all went well. I do think
that a consolidation of patches is needed, and will be appreciated ;-)

Harolddd

"Włodzimierz ABX Skiba" <abx### [at] abxartpl> wrote in message
> Michael Goldshteyn wrote:
> > Optimized for the P4, even.
>
> Sources with HDRI support are available at Mael's site, feel free to
> download and compile it with expected optimizations. If you are patient
you
> can receive MegaPOV with HDRI support near soon thought I do not know
> optimization flags of binaries dedicated to your favourite destination
> platform. AFAIK 3.6 release will never happen.
>
> ABX

Post a reply to this message

From: ABX
Date: 12 Jun 2003 01:59:23
Message: <0h5gevcdebtb15ovrhembitf448b2pr8fa@4ax.com>
On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 16:50:37 EDT, "Thorsten" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Well, there are tens of thousands of downloads of POV-Ray every month.

What is the number of registered users in 'community' section of website ?

ABX

Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 12 Jun 2003 02:59:45
Message: <3ee824e1@news.povray.org>
In article <0h5gevcdebtb15ovrhembitf448b2pr8fa@4ax.com> , ABX
<abx### [at] abxartpl>  wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 16:50:37 EDT, "Thorsten" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>> Well, there are tens of thousands of downloads of POV-Ray every month.
>
> What is the number of registered users in 'community' section of website ?

There are 4356 distinct names in the web news view.  And there are 1525
users registered in the community section.  Further, there are over 15000
(complete) downloads of POV-Ray 3.5 from povray.org alone, every month.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

From: Rick [Kitty5]
Date: 12 Jun 2003 05:38:45
Message: <3ee84a25$1@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
> I think you seriously lost track of reality by only reading these
> newsgroups frequented by several very advanced users.  While there
> are a few dozen users who play with some of the features a few
> unofficial versions provide, there are tens of thousands of users who
> use the official version of POV-Ray....

Would be interesting to see the download statistics comparing pov3.1g to its
MegaPOV counterpart. But as you dont have these statistics what assumption
is the above based on?

--
Rick

Kitty5 NewMedia http://Kitty5.com
POV-Ray News & Resources http://Povray.co.uk
TEL : +44 (01270) 501101 - FAX : +44 (01270) 251105 - ICQ : 15776037

PGP Public Key

From: ABX
Date: 12 Jun 2003 05:48:15
Message: <ktigevorhv4087km1059lihqtpjd4avpa0@4ax.com>
On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 10:34:44 +0100, "Rick [Kitty5]" <spa### [at] kitty5com> wrote:
> you dont have these statistics

The downloadable url of WinMegaPOV 07 at Nathan's site is
ftp://ftp.povray.org/pub/povray/Unofficial/MegaPOV/winmegapov07.zip

ABX

Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 12 Jun 2003 06:46:02
Message: <3ee859ea@news.povray.org>
In article <ktigevorhv4087km1059lihqtpjd4avpa0@4ax.com> , ABX
<abx### [at] abxartpl>  wrote:

> The downloadable url of WinMegaPOV 07 at Nathan's site is
> ftp://ftp.povray.org/pub/povray/Unofficial/MegaPOV/winmegapov07.zip

Which had 579 hits (not complete downloads) in July 2002.  I don't have
access to older stats, Chris Cason may have older stats.

From: ABX
Date: 12 Jun 2003 06:54:42
Message: <3pmgev4i1lb7soujdimabs58m89p081prl@4ax.com>
On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 12:46:01 +0200, "Thorsten Froehlich" <tho### [at] trfde>
wrote:
> > The downloadable url of WinMegaPOV 07 at Nathan's site is
> > ftp://ftp.povray.org/pub/povray/Unofficial/MegaPOV/winmegapov07.zip
>
> Which had 579 hits (not complete downloads) in July 2002.  I don't have
> access to older stats, Chris Cason may have older stats.

Yes, beta-test time of 3.5 is not comparable - probably many persons considered
3.5 as same kind of 'replacement' for MegaPOV (port of MegaPOV features to
official distribution).

ABX

Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 7 Messages >>>