POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : newbie question Server Time
4 Aug 2024 10:21:52 EDT (-0400)
  newbie question (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: @(none)
Subject: newbie question
Date: 29 Apr 2003 13:00:53
Message: <3eaeafc5$1@news.povray.org>
Greetings all,
	I have a simple problem I would like to cast before you all.

	How can I cut a plane (or a very thin and wide box) into
an irregular predefined shape?

	I have an irregular bounded flat shape composed of thin tubes and want
to fill the inside with a plane.  Imagine a distorted childs inflatable
paddling pool - I need to put the bottom skin in.

	I've been looking at the clipped_by and bounded_by directives but am
not making much progress.

TIA
nick

Post a reply to this message

> I have a simple problem I would like to cast before you all.
>
> How can I cut a plane (or a very thin and wide box) into
>an irregular predefined shape?
>
> I have an irregular bounded flat shape composed of thin tubes and want
>to fill the inside with a plane.  Imagine a distorted childs inflatable
>paddling pool - I need to put the bottom skin in.
>
> I've been looking at the clipped_by and bounded_by directives but am
>not making much progress.
>
>TIA
>nick

If you can make a spline of your shape you can create a prism object, or if
you have the shape in a 2d image you could create a heightfield from that.

RG

Post a reply to this message

> 	How can I cut a plane (or a very thin and wide box) into
> an irregular predefined shape?

  Instead of using a plane, you could use a polygon or a prism. You can
shape their boundaries quite freely.

>>	How can I cut a plane (or a very thin and wide box) into
>>an irregular predefined shape?
>

>   Instead of using a plane, you could use a polygon or a prism. You can
> shape their boundaries quite freely.

Thanks for the tips - ran out of time so I had to do it the hard way
by rebuilding the shape from scratch.. :(

cheers
nick

Post a reply to this message

> I have a simple problem I would like to cast before you all.
>
> How can I cut a plane (or a very thin and wide box) into
> an irregular predefined shape?
>
> I have an irregular bounded flat shape composed of thin tubes and want
> to fill the inside with a plane.  Imagine a distorted childs inflatable
> paddling pool - I need to put the bottom skin in.
>
> I've been looking at the clipped_by and bounded_by directives but am
> not making much progress.
>
> TIA
> nick

you could use trace, from the center of the bottom skin to
points around the rim, and make a union of sphere_sweep's
from the center to every point on the edge (yes, it's sick :-)

--
Bill Hails