POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : f_helix functions Server Time
4 Aug 2024 16:10:24 EDT (-0400)
  f_helix functions (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Bill Hails
Subject: f_helix functions
Date: 12 Apr 2003 04:55:55
Message: <3e97d49b@news.povray.org>
Hi.
Does anyone know the precise value of the argument P1 (Period)
to the f_helix1 and f_helix2 functions that will result in a
single complete rotation, I've guestimated it as 6.2,
hey that's 2 * 3.1 which is very nearly 3.14159... never mind.

posting anyway.
--
I would've gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for those pesky kids!

Post a reply to this message

"Bill Hails" <bil### [at] europeyahoo-inccom> wrote in message
> Does anyone know the precise value of the argument P1 (Period)
> to the f_helix1 and f_helix2 functions that will result in a
> single complete rotation, I've guestimated it as 6.2,
> hey that's 2 * 3.1 which is very nearly 3.14159... never mind.
>
> posting anyway.

It could be pi. Really not sure because the source code isn't something I
understand too well. It's worked out in the file fnintern.cpp, if you want
to see it there, and uses pi, 2*pi, and pi/180.

You said a single rotation... I get two for 2*pi and one for pi when used in
a default isosurface.

Post a reply to this message

> "Bill Hails" <bil### [at] europeyahoo-inccom> wrote in message
>> Does anyone know the precise value of the argument P1 (Period)
>> to the f_helix1 and f_helix2 functions that will result in a
>> single complete rotation, I've guestimated it as 6.2,
>> hey that's 2 * 3.1 which is very nearly 3.14159... never mind.
>>
>> posting anyway.
>
> It could be pi. Really not sure because the source code isn't something I
> understand too well. It's worked out in the file fnintern.cpp, if you want
> to see it there, and uses pi, 2*pi, and pi/180.
>
> You said a single rotation... I get two for 2*pi and one for pi when used
> in a default isosurface.

It is pi, my 6.2 approx was actualy ~2 revolutions (a bit hung over after
friday night I suspect :-)

--
I would've gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for those pesky kids!