POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Are cheap fonts likely to not work in povray? Server Time
4 Aug 2024 18:21:44 EDT (-0400)
  Are cheap fonts likely to not work in povray? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Subject: Are cheap fonts likely to not work in povray?
Date: 23 Mar 2003 16:38:44
Message: <3e7e2964$1@news.povray.org>
I downloaded a cheap font,  CLOWNS.TTF, and tried to use one of the
characters as a text object that was then used in an object pattern.  No
matter what letter I used in the command, I ended up with the same
character.  The font seemed to work okay in Wordpad.   Are cheap fonts just
prone to be misread by povray?

sample code below.

#declare blacktext=texture{pigment {Yellow} finish{phong 0.4 }}
#declare Mobj=  text {ttf "CLOWNS.ttf" "a" 1, 0  scale 0.75*<-1,1,3>  scale
10 translate <-2.5,6.2,0>  }

#declare clothtext1=
texture{object{Mobj
        texture{clothtext}
        texture{blacktext}}
         }

Post a reply to this message

"Greg M. Johnson" <gregj;-)565### [at] aolcom> wrote in message
> I downloaded a cheap font,  CLOWNS.TTF, and tried to use one of the
> characters as a text object that was then used in an object pattern.  No
> matter what letter I used in the command, I ended up with the same
> character.  The font seemed to work okay in Wordpad.   Are cheap fonts
just
> prone to be misread by povray?
>
> sample code below.
>
> #declare blacktext=texture{pigment {Yellow} finish{phong 0.4 }}
> #declare Mobj=  text {ttf "CLOWNS.ttf" "a" 1, 0  scale 0.75*<-1,1,3>
scale
> 10 translate <-2.5,6.2,0>  }
>
> #declare clothtext1=
> texture{object{Mobj
>         texture{clothtext}
>         texture{blacktext}}
>          }

Post a reply to this message

I didn't want to include all of the files. My system is getting a bit
complicated.

The guy on the left has the letter "a" as a text object  object pattern.  No
matter what letter I type in there, it always shows the same character from
the font file.  I think however that the font file works okay in Wordpad.

"Wheredragon" <whr### [at] nothnbutnet> wrote in message
> It depends,
> from what I see is this:
> 1. No camera Definition
> 2. No Lightsource
> 3. clothtext texture not defined.
>
> "Greg M. Johnson" <gregj;-)565### [at] aolcom> wrote in message
> > I downloaded a cheap font,  CLOWNS.TTF, and tried to use one of the
> > characters as a text object that was then used in an object pattern.  No
> > matter what letter I used in the command, I ended up with the same
> > character.  The font seemed to work okay in Wordpad.   Are cheap fonts
> just
> > prone to be misread by povray?
> >
> > sample code below.
> >
> > #declare blacktext=texture{pigment {Yellow} finish{phong 0.4 }}
> > #declare Mobj=  text {ttf "CLOWNS.ttf" "a" 1, 0  scale 0.75*<-1,1,3>
> scale
> > 10 translate <-2.5,6.2,0>  }
> >
> > #declare clothtext1=
> > texture{object{Mobj
> >         texture{clothtext}
> >         texture{blacktext}}
> >          }

Post a reply to this message

> I didn't want to include all of the files. My system is getting a bit
> complicated.
>
> The guy on the left has the letter "a" as a text object  object pattern.
No
> matter what letter I type in there, it always shows the same character
from
> the font file.  I think however that the font file works okay in Wordpad.

Are you somehow redfineing something later on that causes "a" to be used?
Have you tried using a different font within this same exact povray code and
does it work then? Have you saved the file after changing "a" to whatever
you want?

Post a reply to this message