POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rune? Christoph Hormann? Server Time
4 Aug 2024 20:17:57 EDT (-0400)
  Rune? Christoph Hormann? (Message 11 to 11 of 11)
From: Ian J  Burgmyer
Subject: Re: Thanks you two
Date: 19 Mar 2003 00:41:30
Message: <3e78030a$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott's furious key-hammering produced this:
> Wish there was at least a VBScript clone under Linux.

LOL, I know what you mean!  I think I would write more scripts for Linux if
something like that were available.

> When the mud client
> I use gets ported over to it I am going to lose my favorite script
> language for coding.

Bummer. :(

> Python looked promising (I.e. reasonably non-
> cryptic), but the developer or Mushclient couldn't get the engine to link
> in and work right, it kept crashing the client under windows. :P

Heh...that sucks.

One nice thing about Python is that it kind of forces the programmer to indent
code.  AFAIK, blocks in Python are done using whitespace.

> For that matter, it would be nice if someone designed a Basic language
> that supported the stuff VB does and got it bloody right.

Heh...closest I've seen is XBasic, but I don't really like that too much. :)

I think the URL for XB is www.xbasic.org, but I'm not sure.  You can probably
find something if you Google it.  It's available for both Linux and Windows, and
is free.

> Some very
> strange quirks in the language and some where actually added that didn't
> "ever" happen in QB.

The biggest flaw with VB, IMO, is that it tried to build on QB.  It's nice in
one way because switching between the two languages is similar, but it's really
annoying in another because a whole new layer of slop was added.

VB.NET is a rewrite of the language and supports some very nice new features.
For instance, you can now use the C-style "+=", "-=", "*=", [etc etc] assigment
operators, and you can now use "return" to return values from functions rather
than the cryptic "FunctionName=ReturnValue" syntax that QB and older versions of
VB used.  File manipulation and other things are done much differently, though,
so it's fortunate that Microsoft did keep some of the older syntax for
compatibility.

This has gotten kind of off-topic.  Followups set! :)

--
/*^*/light_source{100*<-5,2,-5>2}#macro I(i,n)#while(strlen(i)>=n)#local A=asc(
substr(i,n,1));#local a=asc(substr(i,n+1,1));cylinder{<div(A,8)-12,mod(A,8)-4,4
/*<*/)I("mkmtlttk"1)//@_$#!,:<"Thhis polysig brought to you by Ian Burgmyer :)"