POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Texture maps different in 3.5 even when using #version Server Time
5 Aug 2024 02:15:25 EDT (-0400)
  Texture maps different in 3.5 even when using #version (Message 11 to 12 of 12)
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Subject: Re: Texture maps different in 3.5 even when using #version
Date: 4 Feb 2003 13:06:28
Message: <3e400124$1@news.povray.org>
In article <3e3fbb38@news.povray.org> , Not My Real Email Address
<ano### [at] anoncom>  wrote:

> Sorry in advance for the rude tone of this post.

Same for this one.

> 1) documentation: dead link at 'complete list' in paragraph at
> povdoc_082.html#target_141

No, it leads you to section 3.6.3.7 as it is supposed to.

> 2) #version does not set correct value of noise_generator in order to
> recreate images from source code created with previous versions of
> povray (if I am to believe what I hear here).

Not a bug.  It works exactly as documented.

> 3) povray 3.5 does not recreate image correctly from my source code
> generated for previous version of povray (3.0, 3.1-compatible megapov0.5)
> even with global_settings { noise_generator 1 }, optionally also with
> #version 3.0 or #version 3.1.

Not a bug.  The #version directive sets the language version, not the scene
rendering style.  this is pointed out in "6.2.5 The #version Directive" as
well.

> 'noise and pigment functions' in the TOC takes me to
>
>     3.6.3.6  noise and pigment functions

Well, if you are looking in the completely wrong place.  This is a
subsection of "3.6.3 Isosurface Object".  Surely not what you are looking
for.  And the TOC makes quite clear to which section a subsection belongs...

> So I am still in the dark of

Hardly a surprise if you seek information in sections of the documentation
that are unrelated to textures at all...

> whether the 'noise generator' parameter is
> theoretically supposed to fix the problem. But I can tell you it does not
> in practice.

If you don't know how to use it, you should ask here.  The old noise
generator does work exactly as before.  Thousands of users have successfully
used the old noise generator, so blaming POV-Ray for you not knowing how to
use it without having read (not randomly searched) the manual, well...

> And in my opinion, it should NOT be necessary. What is #version 3.0 or
> #version 3.1 supposed to do, if not set values like this to the necessary
> values to recreate a scene made using a previous version of povray?

RTFM.

    Thorsten

Post a reply to this message