POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : RiscOS3? Server Time
5 Aug 2024 08:18:33 EDT (-0400)
  RiscOS3? (Message 11 to 15 of 15)
From: Patrick Elliott
Subject: Re: RiscOS3?
Date: 9 Dec 2002 16:49:54
Message: <MPG.185ebb95583202169896d9@news.povray.org>
In article <3df45a93$1@news.povray.org>, tho### [at] trfde says...
> In article <3df436ba$1@news.povray.org> , "Apache"
> <apa### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
>
> > Then why is emulating a mac on a intel so difficult?
>
> Because you need the Apple firmware (aka bios) and you cannot just copy it
> because that would be illegal?
>
> Apart from that, I said emulating a RISC processor on a CISC processor is
> difficult.
>
> > I've tried to find out
> > if there is any way to run OSX on an intel machine and I haven't found one
> > yet!
>
> Google helps ... i.e. <http://www.google.com/search?q=Mac+powerpc+emulator>
>

>     Thorsten

> Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
> e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

Precisely.. Think of it as having all the .dll libraries that windows
uses built into the machines basic ROM, while on a PC the same chip only
contains some very basic boot code and drivers that support the most
simple means to access various pieces of hardware you install. Assuming
you had a way to boot the machine into an editor mode like with the old
Apple IIgs (that used different ID numbers for firmware calls, but the
same basic code and the Macs back then!?!), you could create a window,
drop a menu into it, display a picture, etc. All without ever loading an
actual operating system. It was sort of fun to play with some of it on
the IIgs, but since you couldn't do much with it without the OS to load
programs and stuff...

Post a reply to this message