POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Howdy. I'm looking for an old texture Server Time
5 Aug 2024 02:25:10 EDT (-0400)
  Howdy. I'm looking for an old texture (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Howard Day
Subject: Howdy. I'm looking for an old texture
Date: 3 Dec 2002 12:26:32
Message: <3dece948@news.povray.org>
Hello, there.  Long time no see. :D

Anyhow, I'm looking for a function {} pattern.  It was at least 2 years ago
that I saw this thing - lots on circles imposed on one another. it was on a
green sphere - I wish I could find the picture I had of it.

Well, here's what I'm working on now -
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=30854&goto=newpost
(I'm using povray to create many of the textures - it's the single strongest
procedural texturing engine in the business.)

And I got to thinking - that texture (with a bit of modification) could make
a smashing simulation of city lights viewed from space. Now, I'd really
appreciate it if someone here knows about this texture - or better yet -
knows how to do a better one. Unfortunately, my function coding skills are a
bit atrophied from lack of use. 3DSMax stole them from me. :D

Think lights from space!

What's in it for you?
Well, when the texture's complete I'll post the source code for it here on
the newsgroups. To the best of my knowledge, I've never released this
advanced planet creation system.
There you go!
TIA!

H.E. Day