POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Pixar patent infringement involves anti-aliasing Server Time
5 Aug 2024 12:18:12 EDT (-0400)
  Pixar patent infringement involves anti-aliasing (Message 42 to 51 of 51)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Pixar patent infringement involves anti-aliasing
Date: 12 Nov 2002 14:15:31
Message: <3dd15352@news.povray.org>
Tom Melly <tom### [at] tomandlucouk> wrote:
> As Sir Charles said, costs.

  So what's the point in having patents if they don't help?

From: Sir Charles W  Shults III
Date: 12 Nov 2002 16:34:16
Message: <3dd173d8$1@news.povray.org>
In times past, they were very useful.  You invented something, staked your
claim, made a living off it.  It was pretty easy to show that you had some
unique device and you thought of it, and you deserved the chance to make a
living from your cleverness without interference from others.
    Today, most "inventions" are rarely unique, new, or innovative.  And so many
things have been invented that most anyone can find something to sue you over.
They will not always win, but you can be bankrupted in the defense of your
patent in any case.  My feeling is that you are better off copyrighting what you
can, selling the hell out of it fast, and getting out.

Cheers!

Chip Shults
My robotics, space and CGI web page - http://home.cfl.rr.com/aichip

Post a reply to this message