POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How to get the reflection data Server Time
5 Aug 2024 10:25:53 EDT (-0400)
  How to get the reflection data (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Wu Yang
Subject: How to get the reflection data
Date: 19 Sep 2002 19:12:41
Message: <3d8a59e9$1@news.povray.org>
Hi all,
  I am a new user of pov-ray. I want to know how to get the reflection data
which are used to form the scenes.
Thanks
Wu

Post a reply to this message

From: Christopher James Huff
Subject: Re: How to get the reflection data
Date: 19 Sep 2002 19:40:27
Message: <chrishuff-011ECD.19382719092002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3d8a59e9$1@news.povray.org>,
 "Wu Yang" <wya### [at] cswrightedu> wrote:

>   I am a new user of pov-ray. I want to know how to get the reflection data
> which are used to form the scenes.

Well, my first thought is that you don't understand how POV does
reflections. When a ray hits a reflective surface, POV computes the
direction it would reflect off in from the intersection point and
normal, and the incoming ray direction and origin. It then starts
tracing another ray in the reflected direction, and uses the color
computed along that ray as the reflected color. There isn't any
"reflection data", just a lot of rays. It sounds like you might be
looking for environment map data, POV doesn't use environment maps, it
uses raytracing to compute true reflections instead.

You could hack in a bit of code that writes all reflected rays to a
file, I don't know if that would be of any use to you. The function to
modify would be Reflect() in lighting.cpp. Or you could do it at a lower
level and modify Trace() in render.cpp to output data for every ray
traced.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message

  Thank you for your reply. You message is very helpful for me. In your
letter, you mentioned some C++ files and functions. Would you please inform
me where I can find them.
Thanks
Wu

"Christopher James Huff" <chr### [at] maccom> wrote in message
news:chr### [at] netplexaussieorg...
> In article <3d8a59e9$1@news.povray.org>,
>  "Wu Yang" <wya### [at] cswrightedu> wrote:
>
> >   I am a new user of pov-ray. I want to know how to get the reflection
data
> > which are used to form the scenes.
>
> Well, my first thought is that you don't understand how POV does
> reflections. When a ray hits a reflective surface, POV computes the
> direction it would reflect off in from the intersection point and
> normal, and the incoming ray direction and origin. It then starts
> tracing another ray in the reflected direction, and uses the color
> computed along that ray as the reflected color. There isn't any
> "reflection data", just a lot of rays. It sounds like you might be
> looking for environment map data, POV doesn't use environment maps, it
> uses raytracing to compute true reflections instead.
>
> You could hack in a bit of code that writes all reflected rays to a
> file, I don't know if that would be of any use to you. The function to
> modify would be Reflect() in lighting.cpp. Or you could do it at a lower
> level and modify Trace() in render.cpp to output data for every ray
> traced.
>
> --
> Christopher James Huff <cja### [at] earthlinknet>
> http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
> POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
> http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message