POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Web News Interface Posting Beta Test Server Time
6 Aug 2024 02:22:41 EDT (-0400)
  Web News Interface Posting Beta Test (Message 21 to 26 of 26)
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Subject: Re: Web News Interface Posting Beta Test
Date: 29 Jul 2002 16:46:06
Message: <3d45a98e@news.povray.org>
In article <slr### [at] fwicom> , Ron Parker
<ron### [at] povrayorg>  wrote:

> "\n-- \n" was specified as the signature separator in a draft RFC that was
> supposed to have replaced RFC 1036, but that never happened.  Nevertheless,
> it is considered by most newsreaders to be a standard.  Only the big
> commercial newsreaders like Agent and Outbreak Express (on Windows;
> apparently also some on the Mac platform) seem to ignore it.

Well, it is non-standard and as you know, M$ always follows standards ;-)

> It works often enough.  My newsreader usually doesn't quote signatures; if
> it does I know that it's because the sender's newsreader is using a broken
> separator.  Your signature, of course, gets quoted. :)

Actually, the signature is completely user-defined.  Outlook Express on Mac
does not auto-add separators of any kind.  And as you said, it doesn't
support them either.

However, more important is that if such a detection fails in a program it is
relatively easy to get the rest of the message one way or the other, but
when it breaks in the web view, it would be a really clumsy back button game
combined with section of HTML content and pasting that without breaking
layout, and, and, and...

Another problem is that the decoder program (munpack) used already had to be
tweaked a real lot to cope with so many broken or non-standard message
formats that any further change may break it completely.  I am glad it works
at all for 99.99% of messages without errors that make them unreadable.  So
currently it ignores lines starting with two minus signs :-(  BTW, it also
ignored Chris Cason's default name signature........

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde