POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : ICE Texture Server Time
5 Aug 2024 18:20:39 EDT (-0400)
  ICE Texture (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Eitan Tal
Subject: ICE Texture
Date: 26 Jul 2002 15:18:03
Message: <3d41a06b$1@news.povray.org>
Hey Everyone!
My current scene is about an Ice Castle. I'm starting out with the materials
first, but so far, I'm not doing so well. I've tried the new glass with a
high phong value, but it came out crawling slow, so I think I'll have to use
the old glass that uses Specular instead.

Any suggestions?

Post a reply to this message

> My current scene is about an Ice Castle. I'm starting out with the materials
> first, but so far, I'm not doing so well. I've tried the new glass with a
> high phong value, but it came out crawling slow, so I think I'll have to use
> the old glass that uses Specular instead.

Hmm what are you talking about? Why should phong be slower than specular?

 > Any suggestions?

Browse through the old posts in p.t.s-f... there should be an icicles macro somewhere
which came with a pretty nice ice texture IIRC.

--
Jonathan.

Post a reply to this message

> My current scene is about an Ice Castle. I'm starting out with the materials
> first, but so far, I'm not doing so well. I've tried the new glass with a
> high phong value, but it came out crawling slow, so I think I'll have to use
> the old glass that uses Specular instead.
>
> Any suggestions?

Ice is not that transparent. I'd use scattering media here. Of course that would be
awfully slow as well... :o)

--
Jonathan.

On Fri, 26 Jul 2002 22:16:15 +0200, "Eitan Tal" <eit### [at] netvisionnetil>
wrote:
> Hey Everyone!
> My current scene is about an Ice Castle. I'm starting out with the materials
> first, but so far, I'm not doing so well. I've tried the new glass with a
> high phong value, but it came out crawling slow, so I think I'll have to use
> the old glass that uses Specular instead.

You can dig winter related rounds in IRTC. For example try:
http://www.irtc.org/cgi-bin/htsearch?method=and&format=builtin-long&words=ice+texture

BTW: Are you aware about Ice_Ior constant in const.inc ?

ABX