POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Media interaction with Spotlights Server Time
6 Aug 2024 08:18:37 EDT (-0400)
  Media interaction with Spotlights (Message 11 to 14 of 14)
From: bob h
Subject: Re: Media interaction with Spotlights
Date: 18 May 2002 11:47:22
Message: <3ce6778a@news.povray.org>
"Dave Bates [{Norman}]" <dab### [at] msncom> wrote in message

>     Okay here is my question.. I've played aroudn with this a bit.. I
added
> a "Container" box and see the Cone faintly.. but Is there a way to make it
> more intense without raising the intesity of the light?

Ahh yes, the ever present question about media.

It's a game of adjustment for me. I nearly always put a density {rgb 1}
statement in so I can raise and lower both it and scattering until something
looks okay. However, what most often works is a lower 'extinction' value
than the default (goes into scattering) of one. That way the media brightens
without changing the other parts.
Having read Tim Nikias' reply from this morning, he's certainly right about
the scattering media darkening objects, like a fog does. It isn't always
easy to balance out, hence extinction to the rescue. That thing about
ratio... it's a bit of a refined way to tweak, and doesn't show much change.
See the following, using your scene again with box I added:

media {
    scattering { 1, color rgb .02
         extinction .3 // lower brightens
          }
density {rgb 3} // higher can brighten light
    method 3
    samples 3 // 3 or more to adaptive sample (method 3)
    ratio .9 // default
}

camera {
    location <-4, 3, -5>*3
    look_at .5
}

#declare spot_space=3.1;
#declare max_run=125;

#declare l_rad = 8;
#declare l_x = .25;
#declare l_z = -6;

#while (l_z < max_run)
    light_source {
        <l_x, 5, l_z>
        rgb <1,1,1>
        spotlight
        point_at <l_x, 0, l_z>
        radius l_rad
        falloff l_rad*2
        tightness 25
        media_attenuation on
    }
    #declare l_z = l_z + spot_space;
#end

box {-1,1 scale <30,15,60>
        pigment {rgb <1,0,0>}
        finish {ambient .6 diffuse .6}
        hollow
}

Post a reply to this message

Bob.. That was, great.. the density was EXACTLY what I was looking for...

I appreciate all the help guys..
:)

Post a reply to this message