POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : duty cycle feature Server Time
26 Apr 2024 20:55:51 EDT (-0400)
  duty cycle feature (Message 1 to 10 of 21)
From: Chris Cason
Subject: duty cycle feature
Date: 4 May 2002 01:52:56
Message: <3cd37738@news.povray.org>
Did anyone ever read the docs for the newish 'Duty Cycle' feature
in POVWIN, and wonder why specifically I put it in ?

Did you wonder perhaps that there was a specific reason ?

-- Chris

PS yes, this is a loaded question ... but I want to pique your
interest first ;)

Post a reply to this message

"Chris Cason" <new### [at] deletethispovrayorg> wrote in message
> Did anyone ever read the docs for the newish 'Duty Cycle' feature
> in POVWIN, and wonder why specifically I put it in ?
>
> Did you wonder perhaps that there was a specific reason ?
>
> -- Chris
>
> PS yes, this is a loaded question ... but I want to pique your
> interest first ;)

Well, 'in orbit' and 'zero gravity' are mentioned in close proximity.  Is
POV the first raytracer in space?

Post a reply to this message

> Did you wonder perhaps that there was a specific reason ?

I just thought it was added to outmaneuver a brain dead
CPU priority system in some Windows version :)

_____________
Kari Kivisalo

Post a reply to this message

> Did anyone ever read the docs for the newish 'Duty Cycle' feature
> in POVWIN, and wonder why specifically I put it in ?
>
> Did you wonder perhaps that there was a specific reason ?
>
> -- Chris
>
> PS yes, this is a loaded question ... but I want to pique your
> interest first ;)

Hi Chris,

Yep, I saw it in the release notes actually and thought "good idea, but
how did he think of this?"

So, the answer is "experience"  ...you trashed a laptop CPU?

Cheers, (or "ouch")
    Brian.
--
bel### [at] gilcomau

Post a reply to this message

On Sat, 4 May 2002 15:54:06 +1000 Chris Cason wrote:

>Did anyone ever read the docs for the newish 'Duty Cycle' feature
>in POVWIN, and wonder why specifically I put it in ?
>
>Did you wonder perhaps that there was a specific reason ?

  For those of you who haven't spotted this new feature when setting
your GUI and Render priorities, it is the menu item 'Render > Duty
Cycle' in POV-Ray for Windows 3.5 RC3.

--
Alan
ako### [at] povrayorg

Post a reply to this message

> Did anyone ever read the docs for the newish 'Duty Cycle' feature
> in POVWIN, and wonder why specifically I put it in ?
>
> Did you wonder perhaps that there was a specific reason ?

If i should guess, maybe someone complained POV-Ray is too fast... ;-)

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,
Last updated 26 Apr. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message

If anyone out there think POV-Ray is too fast I've got plenty of stuff to
give them that would prove them wrong :-D

> Chris Cason wrote:
> >
> > Did anyone ever read the docs for the newish 'Duty Cycle' feature
> > in POVWIN, and wonder why specifically I put it in ?
> >
> > Did you wonder perhaps that there was a specific reason ?
>
> If i should guess, maybe someone complained POV-Ray is too fast... ;-)
>
> Christoph
>
> --
> POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,
> TransSkin and more: http://www.tu-bs.de/~y0013390/
> Last updated 26 Apr. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message

"Alan Holding" <tro### [at] tiscalicouk> wrote in message
> Well, 'in orbit' and 'zero gravity' are mentioned in close proximity.  Is
> POV the first raytracer in space?

bingo.

as we sit in front of our computers, a copy of POV-Ray 3.5 is whizzing
above our heads in the International Space Station (courtesy of Mark
Shuttleworth).

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message

> as we sit in front of our computers, a copy of POV-Ray 3.5 is whizzing
> above our heads in the International Space Station (courtesy of Mark
> Shuttleworth).

Cool, when do we get to see the first picture traced in space?

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,
Last updated 26 Apr. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message

> Cool, when do we get to see the first picture traced in space?

was I meant to ask him to actually -use- it ?

oh, darn.

and he's coming home tomorrow ;)

-- Chris