POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Custom camera type required Server Time
6 Aug 2024 08:12:25 EDT (-0400)
  Custom camera type required (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Vic
Subject: Custom camera type required
Date: 30 Apr 2002 15:16:52
Message: <3cceeda4@news.povray.org>
Stereoscopy: Harolddd wrote, that only parallel left and right cameras gives
good result when generation stereo pairs. He is right. Nonparallel direction
vectors causes eye divergence at large to infinite distances. Plus it's
impossible to use vista buffer because camera vectors are not perpendicular.

My conclusion: Cameras built into POV-Ray cannot render a stereo pair
properly.

Sterring of a proper stereo window requires:

- Stereo camera type (like StereoPov)
or
- Custom camera type with a user defined "ray vector function" (this can be
an universal solution to all camera related problems)
or
- Image shift (right and up vectors at different image plane positions than
0.5, as I mentioned in a thread some days ago)

A complicated solution employs camera ray perturbation and ortographic left
and right cameras. This is untested and too complicated.

Any suggestions?

Vic

Post a reply to this message

> Stereoscopy: Harolddd wrote, that only parallel left and right
> cameras gives good result when generation stereo pairs. He is right.
> Nonparallel direction vectors causes eye divergence at large to
> infinite distances. Plus it's impossible to use vista buffer because
> camera vectors are not perpendicular.
>
> My conclusion: Cameras built into POV-Ray cannot render a stereo pair
> properly.

Wrong, but it's correct that the vista buffer cannot be used. You can
use the matrix transformation to align your camera exactly as you want
to.

Rune

Post a reply to this message