POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 360 degree image Server Time
6 Aug 2024 12:27:31 EDT (-0400)
  360 degree image (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Tom A
Subject: 360 degree image
Date: 1 Apr 2002 10:16:25
Message: <3CA879C9.D50082B9@my-deja.com>
I was wondering how to go about making a 360 degree image.  I was
thinking about something like the game Zork Nemesis where you could look
all round your position (and I hear Myst III has that too).  I tried
increasing the angle of the picture but it ended up distorted.

The idea I have is that it is made of a concatenation of a sequence of
pictures.

Anyone with more experience with POV cameras able to enlighten me?

Thanks!

--
Tom A.

into that pit of cotton-top hell, and let them hippity-hop
all over my vulnerable flesh? - Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Deja mail is gone.  Look for me at raugost at yahoo . com

Post a reply to this message

> I was wondering how to go about making a 360 degree image.  I was
> thinking about something like the game Zork Nemesis where you could look
> all round your position (and I hear Myst III has that too).  I tried
> increasing the angle of the picture but it ended up distorted.
>
> The idea I have is that it is made of a concatenation of a sequence of
> pictures.
>
> Anyone with more experience with POV cameras able to enlighten me?

There is something similar here that is worth looking at -
http://home4.inet.tele.dk/ibras/panorama.htm

--
Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message

> I was wondering how to go about making a 360 degree image.  I was
> thinking about something like the game Zork Nemesis where you could look
> all round your position (and I hear Myst III has that too).  I tried
> increasing the angle of the picture but it ended up distorted.

This is done by using the spherical camera (look that up in the docs) and
then mapping the image spherically to a sphere or cube around the camera in
some sort of 3D polygon engine. At least that's how Myst III did it.
(*awesome* game.)

- Slime
[ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]
[ http://www.slimeland.com/images/ ]